PDA

View Full Version : 2-Pair: Play Like Come Hand or Start Firing on the Flop?

Implied Evens
09-16-2004, 01:07 PM
Hi all, I'd love your thoughts/philosophy on how you approach 2-pair on the flop. For reference, I've been playing Party $25/PL for a little over 2 months (at irregular intervals) with an average earn rate of about $9/hr.

I really hate playing 2-pair, as in general I have a hard time determining whether I should play it on the flop like a come hand or try to take down the pot immediately.

Specifically, since I'm "fairly" tight (26% when not in the blinds) most of my 2-pair come on hands like AQ, KQ, etc. - which of course make a lot of straight draws for other players on premium hands.

I'll back off on the flop with a PF re-raise (as big trips may then lurk) but otherwise usually bet top two pair strong. I'm only about 43% successful with the thinnest of profits per hand ($.02), and usually get beat on the river by low trips and straights (as one might expect, since I've already folded to those showing big pair PF).

My perceived problem here is that when I get beat by players who flop low trips, I lose a lot of money - and I want to try and find some way of mitigating these big losses.

Should I stop betting top 2-pair aggressively unless I'm playing small connectors? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

amoeba
09-16-2004, 01:33 PM
small connector 2 pairs have more problems as there is chance you get counterfeited.