View Full Version : The DavidRoss Experience Week 1

Danny "DTM" Marx
09-16-2004, 01:00 PM
Please give me some critique for what I should do to improve for week 2. I'm sorry I couldn't get many hands in. I will definetly add much more in the future. So other than more hands... Hope you enjoy.

Beginning:

I have decided to partake in a David Ross like experiment. I am a sophomore at the University of Colorado at Boulder and have been playing online poker for a little over a year now from the micro limits to NL 200 and a little beyond. Because I have had to spend most of my bankroll I have always had to go back down to NL 25 and restart my bankroll many times. I deposited $500 into empire with a rake back deal and have decided not to cash out and make my bankroll grow and move up limits accordingly. The purpose is to see how successful a standard solid poker player can be at turning a small bankroll into a 5 digit figure and beyond roll in a relatively short period of time having a normal college life to attend to. Something else I need to do is make a schedule for myself to play under which I believe creates some control and helps with tilt. I won't ever leave a table when I'm winning or losing from bad or good luck, it will be the time that decides.

Week 1: Wed, Sept. 8
I was going to start this earlier, but I have been sick lately and am still a little sick on day 1. I decided not to go to class today and play some poker. I decided to deposit at full tilt to check out the bonus and see how good of a site it is. I’m using a separate affiliate bankroll for this. I deposited $500 into full tilt, so my total bankroll is $1000, but the empire half is the only half where I have to follow my strict rules of moving up limits only when that bankroll permits. If I see a juicy NL 100 game at full tilt, I will sit. I won’t allow myself to at empire. I don’t have as many hands shown as I would like (at least not in good format), but I will change this in the future. Being so sick also didn’t allow me to play very much poker this week. I am feeling a lot better and will started to play more on day 7. I like multi-tabling because it allows me to bluff less and concentrate on only playing my hands which is enough to win at the low limits. I made $300 this week including my $100 bonus from empire.

Day 1: I decided to start my bankroll off with some 4 table NL 25 (6 max). Empire just came out with a new hand history system and poker tracker can’t read it yet which is kind of disappointing because I will be behind in my stats and info for this experiment. I played around 300 hands in the afternoon and my account stands at $569.12 so I had a decent showing. Even though I have a lot of shorthanded experience, I am relatively new to the 6 max tables. It was interesting with lots of maniacs and calling stations. Not as much bluffing as I thought going on. The one bluff I called, he ended up winning the hand anyway.

Table Table 14076 (6 max) (Real Money)
Seat 2 is the button
Total number of players : 5
Seat 1: DannyMarx ( $62.2 )
Seat 10: briggs13 ( $76.3 )
Seat 3: ricardo55 ( $7.5 )
Seat 5: SubwayJustic ( $23.05 )
Seat 8: kmoaks ( $10.5 )
SubwayJustic posts small blind [$0.25].
kmoaks posts big blind [$0.5].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to DannyMarx [ Ks Th ]
briggs13 folds.
DannyMarx raises [$2].
ricardo55 folds.
SubwayJustic folds.
kmoaks calls [$1.5].
** Dealing Flop ** [ 6h, Kd, 3d ]
kmoaks checks.
DannyMarx bets [$3].
kmoaks raises [$8].
DannyMarx calls [$5].
** Dealing Turn ** [ Jd ]
kmoaks checks.
DannyMarx checks.
** Dealing River ** [ Td ]
kmoaks is all-In.
DannyMarx calls [$0.5].
kmoaks shows [ 9d, 9c ] a flush, king high.
DannyMarx shows [ Ks, Th ] two pairs, kings and tens.
kmoaks wins $20.20 from the main pot with a flush, king high.

One thing I decided to do was not play Ax unsuited very often even from the button when I’m first in at the 6 max. I figure they are marginally profitable if played correctly, but with 4 tables popping up at me, it is hard to keep my marginal advantage with them. The tables were 3, 4, and 5 handed a bunch also, but I kept the same theory. I would call in the SB for half a bet though. Only time will help me change my game in these low limit 6 max tables.

I may play again later tonight, but I am busy because I have to hash (clean [censored] up) for dinner tonight for my fraternity and than we have intramural hockey at 10:45.

Day 2: Morning- Afternoon: I woke up feeling really sick. Hockey was not a good idea, considering I could barely breathe while skating. Our team won 3-2 and is 1-0 now, but I played terribly. Now I have a cold in addition to my terrible soar throat with some flu like symptoms for the triple threat. Tonight is preference night for our fraternity where the rushees choose which fraternities they like most and come for a fancy dinner. I deposited $500 into fulltiltpoker.com today for 100% matching bonus. I have a feeling the bonus will not even pay for half of the rake, but only playing a little will tell.

I saw an easy looking NL 100 table at full tilt. The players were weak/tight, but would call any bets on draws and weak top pairs. Very first hand at full tilt made me like the site. I can’t get hand histories on full tilt so I will recall the hand to the best of my ability:

I Got 66 in late position. There were 2 callers and I limped in as well. Flop comes 66X… enough said. I Made $66 on that hand. I guess you can say this site is calling to me.

I was at zerorake.com when it first opened and took advantage of their insane “free money” free rolls. I turned the $100 I won in free rolls into about $550 using their 6 month free membership at the tables. I cashed out to around $100 and try to play their whenever I can find a game. I don’t understand why this isn’t the biggest site on the net. People will save thousands a year. Too bad there are only about 20 people that play and 75% of them are ringers. Played some zero rake today with 2 other people and my roommate (no, we didn’t work together). We played 1/2 Limit. My roommate took a giant pot off of me when his flush draw trumped my flopped 2 pair of AT. I lost around $40 in the session. It was ultra-aggressive. Some players refused to play unless they came in for the last raise. It got to be around 7 handed.

Full tilt at the NL 50 and beyond is relatively weak/tight. I find this style very easy to play against. I just bet the flop against the one opponent no matter what comes out if I raised pre-flop and take it down 90% of the time. I checked out the bonus to see how fast it was going… wow. It’s basically like 10% rake back so it will take forever to clear the bonus. I’ll only stay here if the games remain easy, otherwise I will cash out once I get $100 of the bonus.

Later in the afternoon I saw Perry Friedman at 3/6 limit. I decided to sit down because usually when a pro sits down at one of the full tilt tables, tons of random fish sit down trying to outplay the pro. I ended up $21 overall in the day at full tilt.

Hand where I lost some money in NL 100: I have A9 on the button. It is folded to the CO who limps; I raise 3.5xBB and get called in the BB and the CO. The flop is Qxx. Checked to me so I take a stab because of the weakness I’ve seen so far. I bet $6.50 into the $10 pot. The BB calls. The turn is another rag and BB checks, I bet $12 into the $23 pot and he calls. The river is another blank and we both check. He only had $14 left so I didn’t want to fire a third shell, because it was a large pot. He turns over Q2 for top pair weak kicker. Did I play this right considering the table was weak, or should I have stopped after the flop?

Night: I received a call from the doctor before preference night dinner. My strep throat test came back positive. This really sucks because of all the fun things our fraternity is doing this week including climbing a 14er which is a 14K ft. mountain.

The games so far are much tougher at night at full tilt. People aren’t allowing me to steal pots so easily. I lost some money figuring this out. There was one insane hand which got me back to even for the day:

I had QJ on the Button. There were 2 limpers, I hopped in, and the blinds called. Flop came T97. Everyone checked. The turn was a K giving me the nuts strait with only a 4 flush out. SB bets, BB raises, I re-raise big. The SB goes all in, the BB calls. I am in shock right now. I was guessing someone else had QJ and another might have 2 pair or trips. I call. River is a blank. The SB turns over 86 for a flopped sucker strait. The BB turns over J8 for a flopped nuts strait. I turn over QJ for the king of the world champion strait. I have never seen this kind of a hand before with 3 different straits, one trumping the next.

I decided to go to bed early from feeling sick. I will try to get more hands from the day in on the future, but I’m getting sicker so there might be even less this week.

Day 3: Afternoon: Played some NL 100, I was curious on how I played this one hand:

I had A8 in the SB. It was folded all the way around to me. I raise to 3.5XBB and the BB calls. The flop comes Axx. I make a bet just under the pot size. The BB calls. The turn comes a Q. There are no draws on the board. I bet ¾ the pot and the BB calls. River is a blank and we both check. He turns over AT for the win. Should I have sniffed out an ace with a better kicker? Usually in the battle of the blinds I put him on a much weaker hand, and it came back to bite me in the ass.

After this hand I decided to 4 table NL 50 at full tilt which is the same blinds as NL 25 at empire. I ended the session up $21. I only had a few hands until my $100 bonus would be released at empire so I decided to finish it off and 4 table NL 25 6 max. I got a few terrible calls which made me happy even though a bunch outdrew me. One call was incredibly confusing. One guy called me all in when I had an over pair on the flop with a backdoor strait draw and 2 under cards. (He won that hand by the way). I lost around $50 which ended up being up $50 because I released the bonus. Account ended the session at $605. One hand where I lost a lot of money:

I had AJ and it was 5 handed. I raise on the button and get called by a limper in the CO. The flop comes Jxx. He checks, I bet the pot, he calls. Most people with over pairs would check/raise or even lead out here. He also played deceptively pre-flop. This lead me to make an incorrect bet on the turn and than he raised me all in and I had to call. He had QQ.

I decided to play a little more after about a half hour because I was dissatisfied. Early on in the session I won a $45 pot which reminded me of the reason people can be long term winners:

I have KK on the button. Everyone limps so I raise to $4 pre-flop in NL 25. There is one caller. The flop comes J62. The caller bets out $8 so I raise him all in and he calls. I’m worried for a second he might have trip J’s. Nope… you guessed it, he had A4. My account is now at a healthy $651.80.

Night: I did 20+2 2 table NL tourney at party with my affiliate money. We had one guy at our table who took his whole time bank on the first hand pre-flop. It was incredibly annoying because the other table got around 6 hands in meanwhile. I built my stack up early after that. With 11 people left I was in 4th place with 2400. I lost most of my chips with AK vs QK when the flop was KQ3 against a 1800 stack. I finished 10th a few hands later. Kind of disappointing, but oh well.

Day 4: Afternoon: I’m excited for CU football today. We won last week in our opener vs. CSU in a miracle ending. It’s an away game so I’m not going to do pre-game “activities.” I also still am very sick so that wouldn’t be a good idea anyway. I decided to 3 table NL 50 at full tilt. I took a bad beat from someone who called me a big bet with 34 vs TT with a 3 on the flop. He caught his 4 on the river. I decided to stay patient and wait for him to do something incorrect to get my money back. It didn’t take long as he made a similar call with his 98 vs my JJ. I got all my money back plus his. I made around $70 and than stopped for some CU football.

Wow, both teams played terribly most of the game. My roommate from last year is the backup kicker, but he won’t get to play much considering our starter is hitting 75 yarders in practice and 54 yarders in the game. We won, but in disgusting fashion.

Night: I started to get a fever and decided it would be best not to go out tonight. While everyone else was pre-gaming for parties we played some live poker at our house. I won around $35. We play relatively low stakes live when it’ just our fraternity brothers because most of us can hold our own and we don’t want to take money from one another. We also play live games and sometimes tournaments with other students at CU which can be incredibly fun.

After everyone went out I decided to play some NL 100 at full tilt. I lost a ton of money with my strait vs full house vs full house. I should of known better but they both flopped the full’s and checked it where I caught my strait on the turn and I was the aggressor which made me pot committed as it came back around to me. I lost around $80 on the night other not including my win in live poker. I wasn’t feeling well and went to bed early.

Day 5: I’ve been waiting for this day since last year’s Super Bowl. Week 1 of the NFL and our very competitive fantasy football league continues today. I’m originally from Chicago and the Bears lost in a very disappointing game which put a damper in my mood. My fantasy team was well behind going into Monday Night Football as well which didn’t help. We played a little live poker in-between games and I won around $25, but I played no online poker today.

Day 6: Afternoon: I did something terrible today. I sat down at a limit that my bankroll cannot handle. At full tilt, Paul Wolfe sat down at NL 400 which attracted a ton of fish and maniacs, so I decided to sit down. I gave myself a tight image early and waited around for a hand. I made low trips vs top two pair which was good for a $120 win. I left shortly after.

I went back to two tabling NL 50 there. Here is one of my hands where I’m not completely sure how I’m supposed to play.

I have AJ and raise to 3.5xBB. Flop is 66J. I bet $4 into $6.50 pot. There was one caller to my left. The turn is a king. What am I supposed to do here? I know I shouldn’t be giving credit for a king, but he could have so many things. I decided to check and he bet $10. Something inside me said he also just had a jack, but I wasn’t completely sure so I just called. River was an 8. I checked, he bet $17 all in. I called and he turned over J9. I won $70 more and my full tilt account is at $657.

Day 7: Today I was feeling a lot better so this was my first real full day at the tables in a little over a week. I woke up early at 6AM because I went to bed early with a fever. I decided to 3 table NL 25 6 max at empire. The deck was real cold for about half an hour and I went down around $30. Everything turned around suddenly and the deck hit me in the face for the first time since I started this experiment. I saw pocket kings on one table, I made a standard raise and no one called. I though “great, my one good hand and no one calls.” One minute later I got solid hand after solid hand at all three tables. I connected on most flops and people kept calling me down with absolutely nothing. 6 max can be awesome. I made $75 back in about 5 minutes on the three tables.

I also changed part of my game in the 6 max tables. I started raising again with Ax if I felt I had position to do so. It worked out really well today.

The best hand was when I called $3 on the flop by accident with absolutely nothing (free BB hand), another guy called. All checked turn, suddenly I was sure that they had a draw. I bet the pot on the river when a blank came and took it down.

I took a giant downswing at the end of the session with people catching 3 outters against me and lost about $40 and ended up around only $20 after that hot streak.

I watched some Monday Night Football. By the way, tivo is the greatest invention ever. Commercial free football is the best. Too bad my fantasy week 1 game ended in a loss. Stupid Ahman Green and the Packers. That’s what I get for watching the game on Tuesday morning.

Andy Bloch sat down at 3/6 limit so I went with my fish and maniac theory and sat down. The game was much, much tight and tougher than the Paul Wolfe table so I knew I wasn’t going to sit down for long. It seemed like every time I got a hand, Andy Bloch re-raised me. I won about 4 strait hands vs him until he took down my AK 3 times in a row and I ended the session down $40.

Sully
09-16-2004, 08:35 PM
I don’t understand why this isn’t the biggest site on the net.

Too bad there are only about 20 people that play and 75% of them are ringers.

I think you might have answered your own question - this site doesn't make sense to fish, so it is bound to be full of sharks.

bisonbison
09-16-2004, 08:38 PM
You can still autorequest e-mails through PT. You just have to turn off the on-disk hand histories.

Danny "DTM" Marx
09-16-2004, 10:16 PM
Thanks about the hand histories. As for zerorake, I'm saying that everyone should go there including fish.

Quercus
09-16-2004, 11:32 PM
I check zerorake from time to time, but I have major problems with their software. Most times, I click the icon and nothing happens. I have to reinstall the damn thing for it to start working again.

Danny "DTM" Marx
09-17-2004, 01:38 PM
Is that the only site you have problems with?

Blarg
09-17-2004, 02:41 PM
Nice quest, though I guess I'm the only person on these forums who sleeps through sports talk.

Not many quests are no-limit, and it seems we're getting more low limit ones, but usually there's a few posts and then the writer starts slacking off and that's the end of it. So sustained no-limit or low-limit quests would be nice nice to see.

Don't think I would have put someone else's name in my own quest title, though. A little misleading, and you're setting yourself up for unflattering comparisons.

nykenny
09-17-2004, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't think I would have put someone else's name in my own quest title, though. A little misleading, and you're setting yourself up for unflattering comparisons.

[/ QUOTE ]

at least he isn't using "quest nykenny style" as title, cause that just spells disaster /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Danny "DTM" Marx
09-17-2004, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the comments, I only used his name this week because he was the inspiration for my quest. In no way do I think I can do anything near as good as David did, I'm only a stupid college kid /images/graemlins/smile.gif

geormiet
09-17-2004, 07:04 PM
Hey good luck with your quest.

have I played with you at ZR?

And I'm surprised someone is having problems with their software? Other than the hand history problems, I think their software is great. Much better than, say, Party.

Danny "DTM" Marx
09-17-2004, 07:23 PM
What's your ZR name?

geormiet
09-17-2004, 07:25 PM
geormiet.

Blarg
09-17-2004, 08:10 PM
Nice to see you here Geo. Usually see you at Matt's place.

geormiet
09-17-2004, 08:29 PM
yeah, I guess I've come to the dark side. Have lurked for a while here though.

Danny "DTM" Marx
09-18-2004, 09:45 AM
Sorry, don't really remember you. I usually play the 1/2-3/6 limit games or NL 25-NL100 there.

Uppercut
09-19-2004, 08:59 PM
Uhh, when do you go to class or study? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Danny "DTM" Marx
09-20-2004, 04:34 AM
Hehe good question. My current schedule for this semester is class at 1,2, and 3 on MW , 2 on T/TH, and 9,1,2,3 on F. I don't go to my 2 and 3 classes most of the time because the content is really easy for me. As for studying, I only really need to buckle down about one day a month before a big test or big paper/project is due. For instance Midterm/paper week is this week so I am skipping a few days in my journal. I will note the days I skipped and if I made any money playing scrap poker during them.