PDA

View Full Version : 3/6, 5/10, 10,/20 BR question

Marlow
09-16-2004, 11:06 AM
Guido's 10/20 post brought up some BR requirement questions for me...

I am surprised by something: people are recommending 500-600 BB to move up to 10/20. I had planned on moving when I reached 300 BB. Currently, I am at 3/6, but have been planning on moving to 5/10 when I amassed a BR of 300 BB, then up again to 10/20 when I hit 300 BB again.

Do the experts think that 300 is Ok for 5/10, or should I wait a little longer? Should I plan on having more for 10/20 simply because it’s a significantly tougher game and the swings are bigger?

Help!

Marlow /images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Dov
09-16-2004, 11:15 AM
It depends on a number of things like how well you play.

I prefer 500 myself, but I am pretty good at reading hands.

The swings are MUCH bigger at 10-20 as you will not find too many weak tight players in the games. They will put you to the test in many ways.

If you are a weak player (be honest about this as it will come out in the 10-20), then work on playing a strong game in the 5-10.

Don't move up, regardless of BR until you feel like you are playing with a bunch of kids for the most part and you have a very good idea of where you are in the hand. Failure to do this will be punished severely at the next limit.

stripsqueez
09-16-2004, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you are a weak player (be honest about this as it will come out in the 10-20), then work on playing a strong game in the 5-10

[/ QUOTE ]

i reckon there is weak and there is being made to look weak

the simple answer is play 10/20 underbankrolled with a plan to drop down if you go rough - long term i would have at least 500BB's if for no reason other than to save myself concern at losing lots of money quickly

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

rtucker5
09-16-2004, 11:26 AM
In shorthanded games, your bankroll requirements will differ based on your play and the play of your opponents. If you have a more aggressive style than me, you will need a bigger roll for when things aren't going your way. Your opponents aggression will also effect the size of the bankroll you need.

I tend to play in the more passive games and will change tables if the aggression is too high. I also try to avoid marginal hands and situations more than other posters. Therefore, I don't need nearly as high a bankroll. I am currently playing 5/10 and have no plans to move to the 10/20 anytime soon because I like the lower varience in the 5/10.

I am starting to ramble, but to answer your question, it depends. If you have 300 big bets for the next level take a couple shots and see how the game plays. If you are comfortable with the game and your bankroll, make the switch. If you feel you are under bankrolled, drop back until your bankroll reaches a comfortable level.

Dov
09-16-2004, 11:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i reckon there is weak and there is being made to look weak

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not talking about image here. I'm talking about how he plays. If he knows that he has weakness in his game, it will be exploited much more fully and more often in the 10-20.

That said, I think he should be one of the stronger and more aggressive 5-10 players before moving up to 10-20. That's all.

Dov

stripsqueez
09-16-2004, 11:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not talking about image here. I'm talking about how he plays. If he knows that he has weakness in his game, it will be exploited much more fully and more often in the 10-20.

That said, I think he should be one of the stronger and more aggressive 5-10 players before moving up to 10-20. That's all

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree - weak is bad

i meant that its a common trap to play too aggro against aggro guys and maybe its dangerous for that reason to advocate aggro when moving up to the 10/20 6 max game from the 5/10 6 max game - maybe its just me but lots of the time playing 10/20 and 15/30 i feel weak when probably its not me being weak but the other guys being way too strong

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

Dov
09-16-2004, 12:02 PM
There is a huge difference between BEING weak and playing in a weak manner to exploit an opponent's mistakes.

As a matter of fact, I recall the question in SSH where you flop quads and never raise once in the entire hand because that's how you make the most money.

I think we are agreeing here, so I'll leave with this.

Dov

PS - Good Luck in HULA

Marlow
09-16-2004, 01:55 PM
This is great advice, thanks.

Like many things in poker it sounds like "it depends."

Marlow /images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

fsuplayer
09-16-2004, 02:45 PM
One thing that doesnt depend on anything is this: If you plan to play 10/20 6 max as your game you need at least 500BB's to be comfortable.

You can dabble in the game with much less than that, but be prepared to move down if you hit a bad streak.

good luck

fsuplayer

icepoker
09-16-2004, 07:41 PM
In the past 6 months I moved into the 5/10 6 max and then resently to the 10/20 6 max. When I made the move I had a very healthy bankroll > 750 bb's. So I could easily deal with the inevitable swings/bad run of cards and likely bad play that result when you change limits and are out of your elements.

My personal experience is to make the move when you have the bankroll so you can play the game solely and long enough to make the necessary adjustments. It may work for some people to give the game a shot and who knows maybe you kill it from day 1 but you run the risk of not having the bankroll to deal with the swings and learn to play in the game.

Having said that, I think you can probably take a stab at the 5/10 game with limited bankroll but not so with the 10/20 game. The 10/20 is much more aggressive and you need to have a decent roll such that you last long enough to learn how to beat it. I needed to make serious adjustments between 5/10 and 10/20.