PDA

View Full Version : Jack's Poker for Men !

01-30-2002, 05:32 PM
I am working on a book. The work-title is: "Poker for Men : A Course in Destroying Female Opponents at Poker".

Anybody has any good ideas ?

Should you try to make friends with 'em ? Should you compliment 'em if they play weak-tight ? Should you pretend that you are interested in their social life (kids, family and stuff) ? Should you invite 'em out to dinner ?

Or should you be more aggressive ? Trying to get 'em on tilt or something ? Maybe trying to get 'em out of the game ? Should women be allowed to play poker ? Are women in general good for the games ?

Any comments is appreciated !

01-30-2002, 05:53 PM
Here is a serious answer. not sure you wanted one but oh well.

I still can't figure out what the hell the big deal is about women playing poker. About the only thing I've noticed that pertains to women in particular is that older asian females seem to be exceptionally good at picking off my bluffs. I dunno what it is. Female intuition or something.

"Should you try to make friends with 'em ?"

Are they young and single?

"Should you compliment 'em if they play weak-tight ?"

I can only think of one female player in the local player pool who is weak-tight. The rest are just like most everybody else, loose aggressive calling stations.

"Should you pretend that you are interested in their social life (kids, family and stuff) ?"

No. Why pretend to be interested in anything?

"Are women in general good for the games ?"

Yes.

01-30-2002, 06:03 PM
this is a good topic. some of the toughest players ive been up against were women. also, some big fish ive enjoyed playing with are women.

ive never tried flirting with a girl player, although i suppose if you were esp. chauvinistic to a strong lady player you may be able to tilt her a little.

i did one time during a hand turn to a fellow male player at the table and asked him if he'd ever kissed a guy and then puckered my lips at him. this had the effect of making the others at the table uneasy, and the guy did change seats, but i think it's only real valuable effect was that of giving me a good laugh.

oh yeah one more thing, i did see a skilled female player playing at my table where sat a very unskilled older woman. every time the pot came down heads up to them the good player would say something like "yeah us girls gotta stick together!". it was so fake and put-on, i wondered who she thought she was fooling. anyway, after doing all this "pro-girl" cheering over and over they had a pot heads up where the good player bluffed on the end. the calling station lady called of course, and the good player turned he hand over and pretended like she had misplayed her hand. the bad player later confided in me that she didnt "believe a word of her bs.. did you see her try to bluff me?" pretty funny.

01-30-2002, 06:20 PM
I'm taking your OP at face value and I'm not trying to be flippant here. Why are you writing a book purporting to give advice when it looks as if you're the one needing advice?

The questions you're asking are so fundemental in nature towards your subject I'm surprised you don't know them already.

Or perhaps you do know them and you're doing this as a poll. If that's the case, might I suggest using a slightly less biased technique?

01-30-2002, 09:18 PM

01-30-2002, 10:10 PM
I would make sure you refer to them as "pretty ugly." That way you get the best of both worlds.

01-31-2002, 12:39 AM
Fool me once, shame on you...

Yeah, I figured it was a joke. Still, I thought it's best to be serious and sarcastic than disbeliving and flippant. Or...is it the other way around? I sometimes get those two confused.

01-31-2002, 10:12 AM
One thing that will tilt anyone and works especially well with women is if you say "YOU'RE A JERK...AND YOU HAVE CROOKED TEETH!" This is mostly intended for people without crooked teeth. They will spend the next ten minutes reapeating "I don't have crooked teeth" and they will be very confused. Then they will start trying to check if they have crooked teeth, even though they know they don't. You think I'm crazy now, but try it on your wife/mother/waitress today. It's facinating really...

01-31-2002, 11:37 AM

01-31-2002, 01:14 PM
I usually just take my shirt off, at which point they're busy gawking and drooling, diminishing their powers of concentration on the task at hand.

01-31-2002, 05:24 PM
The obvious counterplay is for the woman to take HER shirt off.

TRLS

01-31-2002, 06:02 PM
Usually they don't have to, because we men are looking right through the fabric anyway. . .

02-01-2002, 03:39 AM
Shame on you.

02-01-2002, 01:51 PM
If a woman is prone to taking her shirt off more frequently than optimal, then I can induce her to keep taking it off simply by making motions as if to take my shirt off or by declaring a stronger hand than I actually have while shuffling the cards in the muck.

If, on the other hand, she is prone to take her shirt off with less than optimal frequency, then I actually have to remove my shirt in order to induce my opponent to do likewise.

I call this the Fundamental Theorem of Strip Poker.