PDA

View Full Version : AKo UTG

PokerBob
09-16-2004, 10:40 AM
This is a hand that I think I am playing very poorly when the flop misses me. My instinct tells me to be aggressive, but at what point is aggression equal to stupidity.
Here is an example:
Party 1/2 The usual cast of dumdums and nitwits. (9 handed)
Hero is UTG w/ A /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/club.gif
Hero raises, 3 nimrods, plus the BB call.
Flop (10.5 SB) (5 players) J /images/graemlins/club.gif6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
BB checks, Hero bets, 2 nimrods call, BB and 1 nimrod fold.
Turn (8 BB)(3 players) 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
Hero ????? check/fold?

I'm at a loss. Should I try to c/r the flop? That seems absurd cuz I was the raiser. Do I check/fold the flop? That also seems absurd as I have odds to catch an overcard.

Any input would be appreciated.

zuluking
09-16-2004, 11:15 AM
Even though I've been mocked by saying this, I'll say it again. I play AK, AQ, and AJ unimproved aggressively to the river. Sure I lose on the river, but long-term, according to PT, I'm well ahead of the game. If I get raised, I throw it, if there are 3 or more on the river, I'll check it. But 1 or two, I'll bet it out.

droolie
09-16-2004, 11:19 AM
I have the same issues with this hand. I go too far with it almost every time. Since starting to keep data (23 hands)I've gone to showdown 66% of the time and only won $$ 28% of those times. Sample size man will surely appear but I think it shows I can't take my foot off the gas with this hand. As you could probably guess I'm losing money on this hand so far...

That being said I'd raise and fold if reraised.

This is my thought process though I'm probably wrong....

You've shown strength throughout and a reraise will mean your way behind. It would take a real maniac to suddely wake up and bluff at you here.

If you're not reraised you might win the pot right there and your outs are probably good if you're behind a smaller pair. I would worry about reverse domination if you have A-rag players in the pot but even still I would count a solid 5 outs for your hand. That gives you 8.2:1 odds, with implied odds I do it.

A raise might also improve your winning chances as you might get middle or bottom pair to fold.

Check-raising won't be a good value bet and is unlikely to get someone with a hand that currently beats you to fold. If everyone is weak it will probably be checked through and give the nitwits a chance to suck out on the river for free. If checked through the river betting round becomes a mess if you miss your TP because others will correctly assume you are weak. If you lead out you'll likely be called down with middlie or bottom pair or reraised if someone caught the river. If you check someone will bet and you'll have no idea if they're bluffing or if they have a hand that beats you.