PDA

View Full Version : Betting Overcards Into Knowledgeable Opponents

01-30-2002, 11:19 AM
I keep having an issue with overcards in the 10-20 game I frequent. The game is EXCELLENT and is also frequently shorthanded, and this situation seems to come up often. It will be folded around to me in late positon and I will raise with something like AQ or AJ. One or both of the blinds come. The flop is something like 9-6-3, maybe suited, maybe not. Check to me and I bet. They call. Do I keep betting? These are people that will call with any pair in this spot because they automatically put me on an ace (some even would call with something like KQ). Occasionally, they will even checkraise bluff with nothing (this is the only good part of their game). How do you handle these situations? I'm looking for generalities here...what flops do you keep pounding and when/why? Do you ever check the turn and payoff with an ace high? I want to know your thought process in these spots.

Jeff

01-30-2002, 11:48 AM

01-30-2002, 11:53 AM
nm

01-30-2002, 05:16 PM
I am not sure how a ring game that frequently features shorthanded pots can be considered "excellent". In general, these games are terrible as far as EV goes.

As to your question, there are no real helpful guidelines other than don't get into a pattern of any sort i.e. vary your play.

The other guideline is to find a different game. The cat and mouse cofrontations of a Co/button raise vs. blind defense is the hallmark of a tough game.

01-30-2002, 08:32 PM
Jeff,

Watch your opponents carefully. You need to know what their calling standards and check-raising standards are.

If they are loose on the flop, you should be betting the turn a lot. In general, ace high on the flop is a GOOD hand when you're heads up and started shorthanded. You are not bluffing.

If they are tight on the flop, meaning most of the time that they call they have a pair or better (and overwhelmingly when the board is uncoordinated or has high cards), take your free card on the turn. Then you have to make an assessment on the river. In general, it is good to call down on the river the first couple hands you play against a new opponent, because you let him know he can't blow you off an ace. Later on you can worry about good folds, but you still want to be calling a lot with ace high hands (provided your opponent doesn't have obvious tight betting patterns).

For looser players on the flop, it's particularly important to watch them when the turn card is dealt. Try to figure out when they're interested and when not.

Good luck.

Matt

01-31-2002, 03:35 AM
You're probably betting the flop too often. Try checking a lot more often. If it goes all-check again on the turn you are more likely to pick up the pot. Also, if they know you won't automatically bet their hands for them, they are more likely to bet the flop when they have a piece of it, making them easier to read.

TRLS

01-31-2002, 04:54 AM
Here's what I tend to do, if my opponent is at least decent. If he's a total sucker, this won't work.

Bet the flop as usual. If you get check-raised, re-raise. If he bets into you, raise.

If the turn is heads up and your opponent checks to you, check behind.

If he checks the river, check it down.

But if he bets into you on the river, raise no matter what came. You will win a suprisingly high percentage of the time with this move. The only time you don't win the pot is if he makes a monster on the river.

The only drawback is that this move doesn't work as well in a 3 handed game. If the flop is 3 handed in an otherwise full-tabled game, it works beautifully.

Also, this works best if the betting sequence starts off with your opponent betting into you on the flop as opposed to check-raising. I prefer to pull this move in a pot that goes as follows:

1. Raise preflop, one or two callers in FRONT of you.

2. One player bets into you on a raggedy flop, you raise, they just call.

3. Heads up on the turn, check, check.

4. River, they bet into you, you raise.

You'll win about 80% of the time here. The key here is that when they bet into you on a rags flop that you missed with overcards, they almost always caught a little pair and have put you on overcards. Then you set them up by checking behind on the turn, which inspired them to bet the river with their crappy hand or even a busted draw or even an ace high. They won't call your raise now with anything except a monster.

If they check to you, you can't bet to win it with ace high because they'll almost certainly call you down with anything for one bet. But the raise implies so much strength they usually lay down a little pair.

This sounds crazy but trust me, it works incredibly well.

Good luck.

natedogg