PDA

View Full Version : How bad was this?!

Dov
09-16-2004, 09:25 AM
$5+1 MTT on Pokerroom 57 total, 40 left. (top 10 pay, but only top 5 are worth more than $15)

I have T3800 and the other player involved is playing LAG with T3900. He has just moved All In PF on the last 3 hands.

We are the big stacks at the table, with more than 2K more than everyone else. Blinds are 25-50. The chip leader of the tourney has just over 6K but is not at our table.

He is now UTG+2. The action is folded to him and he goes All In again. I look down to find AKs.

I call, he has me covered. The rest of the table folds.

He shows me AA and I am eliminated.

Comments please.

Bernas
09-16-2004, 09:32 AM
Bad luck is all.
He got lucky that you woke up with such a good hand.

jwvdcw
09-16-2004, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bad luck is all.
He got lucky that you woke up with such a good hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not so sure about this. You seem to think that your opponent is a maniac, but perhaps he had legit hands the past few times but didn't want to see a flop(hands like AK or 1010). Then when he was AA, knowing that he had pushed the last few times and that he had the image of a maniac, he pushed.

One of the best situations in all of poker is to catch AA when you've been really aggressive preflop the past few hands because nobody tends to believe your preflop raises. I think your mistake may have been that you labeled your opponent as a maniac without truly seeing what he was doing(you didn't mention actually seeing any of the hands that he pushed with, if you did, then forget all this).

jwvdcw
09-16-2004, 01:50 PM
Addittionaly, lets suppose that he is a total maniac. Even if he has an average hand like 9-10s, you still aren't a huge favorite and I don't think you'd want to risk all of your chips on that so early on when you have such a chip lead. I have calling with AKs no matter what kind of read I have on my opponents early on in a tourney. Pushing with it is an entirely different story.

Dov
09-16-2004, 01:54 PM
If you won't call a total maniac with AKs, what would you call with? Only AA?

fnurt
09-16-2004, 01:57 PM
Very easy call. My eyes would bug out of my head if I saw you fold this hand.

Dov
09-16-2004, 02:00 PM
He didnt have to show any of those hands.

He did show some real weird things earlier, though. He got his big stack by busting 2 players with lucky river catches where he was just bullying the field.

I did read him for a maniac. I guess he was a maniac with big tickets this time.

Dov
09-16-2004, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the support.

I'm a little new to the MTT's still, and am trying like hell to win one of these things. I know I can cash in them, but I want the big prizes.

These bad beats are a little confusing for me, because I know that I might have made the top 5 even by folding here. I am only posting these to see if I'm making any mistakes in comparison to a side game.

Thanks to everyone for their responses.

Dov

esbesb
09-16-2004, 02:12 PM
I like to think I would not make this call in this situation. I might push with the hand (or raise signficantly) but in calling I think there is just too good of a chance that he has put himself in a coinflip situation and left it up to the poker gods.