PDA

View Full Version : Does a "fish finder" exist?

meow_meow
09-16-2004, 09:13 AM
Apologies if this is the wrong forum, I did a search and came up with nothing.

Anyway, playing on party this a.m. and there way a player on the table yapping every time he lost a hand.

After I tell him to stuff it, he gets agitated and tells me he is "going to see what FishFinder has to say about me"
A couple of minutes later he comes back and says that I have a "fishyness" rating of 1.2 out of 10 (apparently 1 is a maximally fishy rating), then reels off a bunch of copy and pasted quotes (supposedly) about my play.

Normally, I would just put this down to creative bashing, but a couple of his quotes suggested that he actually got them from somewhere, e.g. "Worst poker player in RI", and he couldn't tell me what RI stood for (rhode island maybe, not that I've ever been there...). So, my intellectual curiosity has been peaked. I googled fishfinder (and variants) and returned nothing like a player database.

Does anybody know if such a database exists? I can't imagine that this guy was sophisticated enough to make this stuff up...

submariner
09-16-2004, 09:24 AM
I don't know, but unless you really are that fishy, it must not be very accurate if it does exist.

Vuron00
09-16-2004, 09:51 AM
Could he be talking about Poker-Edge?

Link to Poker Edge (http://www.poker-edge.com/index.php)

zuluking
09-16-2004, 10:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
After I tell him to stuff it

[/ QUOTE ]

That was your mistake. Let them yap, what do you care?

meow_meow
09-16-2004, 10:40 AM
I care for a couple of reasons.
1) from a politeness point of view, players should be able to play without being berated, regardless of their abilities (or lack thereof) - trash talking (of the "you're a f-ing idiot" variety) isn't generally allowed in B&M, and it has no place online either.

2)nothing annoys me more than players who critisize bad play, either cowing the bad player into tightening up, or causing them to leave...

tomcain
09-17-2004, 08:49 AM
Hello

I checked out pokeredge. Looks interesting. Has anyone tried it. It almost looks something like PT but for for all party players?

Tom

Zele
09-17-2004, 08:54 AM
As you see, telling him to stuff it just escalated the situation. True, heels annoy me too, and if one is picking on a poor player I sometimes light into him, but the best self-defnese is to not care and not respond. Like little kids, these people are gratified by negative attention.

challenger84
09-17-2004, 10:23 AM
Yea a fish finder exists, it's called "Party Poker." Sit down at any table and your guaranteed to find at least 5-6 fish.

losicks
10-11-2004, 05:00 PM
Yes. I recently signed up for the free trial of HandicapKing.com
They have a very useful Fish Finder feature for members that lists the loosest and most passive players on PartyPoker.com and its network sites. They also have a "Minesweeper" which list the Tightest and most aggressive players in their database. These players can then be found using Party Poker's "find a buddy" feature and if online are ready to be fleeced or avoided. HandicapKing Free Trial (http://www.handicapking.com)

Cygnus
10-11-2004, 05:30 PM
I wonder if Mason knows there's a quote from Poker Essays on the main handicapking web page, and whether he cares?

skp
10-12-2004, 07:47 PM
Man, talk about information overload.

This and poker tracker and that other handicap site or whatever the other poster in this thread spoke of...I guess we are all open books now.

Time to change my Party handle.

...nah, too lazy...

skp
10-12-2004, 07:59 PM
Just went to the site and clicked on rankings. It shows 10 names under the heading "top 10 money winners" and another 10 names under the heading "highest winning hand percentage". Do you know what they base the rankings on? For example, the first name on the top 10 money winners list is MGX00 $3329.50. What the heck does that mean? MGX00 won that sum that session on that table, that day, that week, lifetime earnings (heh). Any idea?

Other than MGX00 and VrcThumP, I don't recognize the other names at all (although I gather that this list is not just restricted to Party Poker).

Anyway, interesting stuff.