PDA

View Full Version : "Let them go naked" - Theresa Heinz-Kerry

GWB
09-16-2004, 06:05 AM
Is she Marie Antoinette?

Here is the complete sentence, spoken to a group collecting supplies for Caribbean hurricane victims:

[b]"Clothing is wonderful, but let them go naked for a while, at least the kids."

source (http://www.suntimes.com/output/elect/cst-nws-polbrf16.html)

Stu Pidasso
09-16-2004, 06:13 AM
It needs to be put in complete context before one can pass judgement. Put up a link George.

Stu

The Dude
09-16-2004, 06:34 AM
You're a genius.

Stu Pidasso
09-16-2004, 06:51 AM
He must have edited it in.

Stu

nicky g
09-16-2004, 07:32 AM
Agreed, there was no source when I first looked at the post. I looked upthe quote online instead.

ChristinaB
09-16-2004, 08:17 AM
Is Stu admiting that he is too lazy to do a search?

Was GWB trying to hide Theresa's true humanitarian intent?

elwoodblues
09-16-2004, 08:23 AM
So, she says something that's correct and will get people the right resources they need and you criticize her. Nice. They were getting too many clothes. They needed more water and food and generators.

The Dude
09-16-2004, 08:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He must have edited it in.

[/ QUOTE ]
Tricksy Hobbitses.

GWB
09-16-2004, 08:54 AM
That post is a forgery!

I demand a congressional investigation.

Meanwhile, CBS stands by the accuracy of the Heinz quote.

Utah
09-16-2004, 09:57 AM
Even if what she said was fundamentally correct, it was a pretty unfortunate comment given her wealth. We know that she would never stand for going naked. The comment really puts her above everyone else.

elwoodblues
09-16-2004, 10:23 AM
I don't think the full quote sounds so bad. Here is what I read (I didn't read the same article linked above):

[ QUOTE ]
Teresa Heinz Kerry, encouraging volunteers as they busily packed supplies Wednesday for hurricane relief efforts in the Caribbean, said she was concerned the effort was too focused on sending clothes instead of essentials like water and electric generators.

"Clothing is wonderful, but let them go naked for a while, at least the kids," said Heinz Kerry, the wife of Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry. "Water is necessary, and then generators, and then food, and then clothes."

[/ QUOTE ]

andyfox
09-16-2004, 01:24 PM
That does it, I'm not voting for her.

wacki
09-16-2004, 01:46 PM
Poor headline selection by drudge IMO.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040913/capt.wx10609131831.heinz_kerry_wx106.jpg

The picture makes her look like the wicked witch of the west.

Then again she is kind of a Bit..

Still poor headline/picture selection

elwoodblues
09-16-2004, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Poor headline selection by drudge IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

He also chose a photo which makes her look like a demon (green background). The photo doesn't come from the article he links to, so I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think that by posting the article with that picture and that headline he was attempting to make her look bad.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040913/capt.wx10609131831.heinz_kerry_wx106.jpg

El Barto
09-16-2004, 02:00 PM
That picture is at least three days old, I've seen it before.

wacki
09-16-2004, 02:11 PM
Yes, drudge uses US news(pic) and Yahoo news(story). Not very good tactics IMO. That's what I would expect from CNN, LAT, NYT, and ABC. CBS is below all of them for obvious reasons.

GWB, she is doing good, you should congratulate her for it.

GWB
09-16-2004, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

GWB, she is doing good, you should congratulate her for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do congratulate her.

I congratulate her for keeping her clothes on (even though she expects the people in the Caribbean to go without clothes). I don't know if I could take seeing any more green skin. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

anatta
09-16-2004, 03:53 PM
Very amusing. Her quote was like that of Marie Antoinette. Ha, ha. I always enjoy it when the Right makes fun of the family of the Democrats.

My favorite was when Rush Limabaugh made dog barking sounds several years back, making fun of Chelsea. What a riot.

She was 12.

Utah
09-16-2004, 04:30 PM
If I recall, she was pretty ugly at age 12.

theBruiser500
09-16-2004, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Even if what she said was fundamentally correct, it was a pretty unfortunate comment given her wealth. We know that she would never stand for going naked. The comment really puts her above everyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying that this quote might make her look bad or that you really think what she said was wrong? If it's the latter you are stupid.

Utah
09-16-2004, 04:51 PM
Neither. What she said was technically correct. However, it betrayed an arrogance about her. It was an insensitive comment.

anatta
09-16-2004, 05:55 PM
/images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif...

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SnakeRat
09-16-2004, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pure conjecture.

"We know that she would never stand for going naked." She told you this? I couldn't find it in the article. Maybe she would happily go naked in the Carribean.

Utah
09-16-2004, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is pure conjecture

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure. Absolutely. Its a message board, so it's allowed /images/graemlins/smile.gif

When a woman wouldnt even eat Wendy's like the masses, I bet I am pretty safe in assuming she is a prima donna who is not fond of running around naked with the common folk.

I have never been a fan of the rich giving advice to the poor or needy. It always comes across as distasteful to me, even when correct.

GHWB
09-20-2004, 05:48 PM
heh heh heh

That Heinz woman makes me laugh.

I know a thing or two about having a First Lady who speaks her mind. You just have to go with the flow.

tolbiny
09-20-2004, 06:01 PM
When a woman wouldnt even eat Wendy's like the masses

So anyone who is not overweight like the majority of americans is a prima donna? Anyone with more education than the average american? How about someone with bigger feet?

I have never been a fan of the rich giving advice to the poor or needy. It always comes across as distasteful to me, even when correct.

She wasnt giving advice to the poor and needy, she was expaining the best way to help rebuild people's lives after a serios event. And if you are one of those people who looks at things emotionally instead of rationally, well then you are one of those people who are responsible for most of the serious problems in the world.