PDA

View Full Version : AKs - Any reason to slow down?

prayformojo
09-16-2004, 05:40 AM
At a table of maniacs and people who overplay their hands. Was I one of them?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. UTG posts a blind of $2.
UTG (poster) checks, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Button caps</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (16 BB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls, Button calls, SB calls.

River: (32 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 38 BB

Thomsen
09-16-2004, 09:19 AM
yes there is a reason to slowdown - cause if your opponent is not a crazy man he has something - and you have one pair only.

I think the cap is a mistake on the turn and that u really should check behind on the river.

mistrpug
09-16-2004, 09:22 AM
I don't know if I would have played it any differently, but it's really scary seeing so many opponents showing strength at different times.

I'm guessing SB made 2 pair on the turn (maybe A6) and takes it.

Thomsen
09-16-2004, 09:23 AM
at the very least 2 pair set is more likely

dejableu
09-16-2004, 09:43 AM
I would have done the same on the flop and turn. I would have checked behind on the river, especially since SB check-three-bet on the turn. When you drew a blank on the river, you wanted to show down for as little as possible; given the size of the pot, you weren't going to fold out anyone who could beat top pair top kicker.

Klak
09-16-2004, 11:55 AM
im guessing you were against a set. id check-fold on the river when you dont make the flush(tho with this massive pot it seems tough to do). the rest of the hand was played great.

TripleH68
09-16-2004, 12:01 PM
The biggest reason to slow down is SB waking up on the turn.

prayformojo
09-16-2004, 12:08 PM
I'm not sure about check/folding. People were showing down some insane hands, so for a pot that size I don't think I could ever fold for one bet. Check/calling would have been the way to go though, I agree.

UTG did show a pair of Jacks for the set. SB had A3o for two pair. On the plus side, the table talked about my "insane" betting for a while (as I kept my mouth shut). They kept speculating about my hand, and not one of them seemed to know that they could check the hand history to see it.

Immediately afterward, the button in this hand took it as his personal mission to teach me a lesson for bluffing. He capped 5 pots pre-flop heads up against me, having the best hand in only 1 and winning 2 when I let go of my hand. So I'm banking my river bet under implied "let's get that crazy guy" odds.