PDA

View Full Version : Taj Mahal or Trop?

01-25-2002, 11:51 AM
Thinking of heading to AC this weekend. I've only been to the Taj there to play low limit HE. Would anyone recommend the Trop over the Taj? I hear they're both smoke free now so which has better games?

Thanks,

CB

01-25-2002, 03:01 PM
CB, my good man, you read my freaking mind. I was about to post the exact same question, as I will be heading down this weekend. I usually play at Ballys, but would like to try out either the Trop or the Taj. I look forward to seeing what the responses are...

--Homer J.

01-25-2002, 03:47 PM
Play at Taj. Period. They have the most games, the best action, and the best comps. $1 an hr for 3-6, 5-10, $2 an hr for red chip games....good food. The games at Trop are tight, Taj is MUCH better with lots of loose tourists and bad players up to 5-10. 10-20 can be tough, but is beatable by a good player. If you want to check out the Trop, I DO recommend their 7.50-15 "pink" game which uses all pink $2.50 blackjack chips and is a castle building action blast. Bring a seatbelt. Good luck and post a trip report.

Jeff

01-25-2002, 03:57 PM
We had a fairly lengthy thread on this subject about a week ago. I'll state my case again:

There's really no contest. Neither room is run at peak efficiency, but the Taj is far and away the better option. They've got more games, great variety of limits, better tourist action, a more competent floor staff, and an all-around better room.

PLUS, you don't have to sit at a table with the same 8 guys all glowering at you cuz yer not "one of them." They prefer, it seems, to just push each other's chips around the table until the house gets it all, I guess. Which is difficult to understand, really, seeing as the house doesn't really seem to give a damn about poker anyway.

Sorry. Guess I overstated my point (again), but I feel fairly strongly about it. Play at the Taj, fercryinoutloud.

Oh, yeah. And the food's no good at either place.

01-25-2002, 08:57 PM
You might want to look at the "Pook Poker Room" thread on the general hold'em forum. In my opinion, the Taj is much better (particularly in winter) for the following reasons:

(1) The Trop doesn't have a sufficent player base. Therefore, the waits for tables are unacceptably long. This is reason enough to go to the Taj.

(2) I find that the Trop regulars make nonregulars feel unwelcome.

(3) The Taj has more casual players, because the poker room is very visible. Therefore, the games are much better at the Taj.

01-26-2002, 12:36 AM
I play at both places. They both have there strong points and there weak points.

I will discuss the weak points and the strong points of each room in my humble opinion.

***The Trop***

The Trop management realizes that is losing its player base to the Taj so they are trying to improve. I feel the Trop caters to its players more. A player can eat at his or her table during a game. I do not like that because it slows down the game, however some players like that cozy atmosphere.

The Trop has a better spread of games.

They offer 2-4 Omaha and 4-8 Omaha.

The Trop has a new game that I am anxious to sit in. They now offer a 7.50-15.00 Hold em game.

I played at the Trop Thursday night before the weekly Hold Em tournament. I sat in the 4-8 and I enjoyed it. There were many regular players, but nobody I would consider a stand out. Most of the players wanted to have fun.

One negative is that the Trop poker room is hard to stumble upon. The only people who find it are usually poker players.

++The Taj++

The largest poker in room in Atlantic City.

'Nuff said.

The Taj has more "casual" players walk in and give poker a shot. The lists are just as long at the Taj as at the Trop. Because the room is larger, the Taj is quick to start a new game.

Sometimes a game will have nothing but weak players, another time the game will be stacked with all solid regulars. The regulars at the Trop arent as solid as the players in the Taj. No offense Trop players, but the Taj has some truly world class players.

The Taj has a little coffe shop upstairs that has a grill and serves awesome burgers.

+++ Conclusion+++

I like both rooms and switch back and forth. I think your best bet is to visit both rooms and see which one you like more.

Best Wishes and let us know what you think.

MK

01-26-2002, 10:38 AM
I agree, try both. Be sure to ride the jitney back and fourth as it is the ultimate thrill in AC.

01-27-2002, 10:49 PM
nm

01-28-2002, 12:13 AM
The Taj has better action, but the ambiance of a huge bus terminal. It's extremely noisy, crowded, and impersonal.

The Trop's dealers were much better, and the staff was friendlier. The Taj had many excellent dealers, but a few terrible ones. The Trop had no incompetent dealers.

The Taj snackbar was surprisingly good. The Trop food was appalling.

When I lived near AC, I enjoyed playing more at the Trop, but did better at the Taj.

No other rooms in AC are worth considering if you want to play hold'em. The Sands is not bad for stud.

01-28-2002, 11:42 AM
I went to AC yesterday and played at the the Trop for a change. I had not played there since early 2001. It was a slow day; maybe because of the football playffs.

I arrove at about 11 am. Started out playing $4-8 hold'em. I had signed up for the pink chip game ($7.50 - $15) but it never got going. I also put my name of the interest list for all of the Omaha games.

They finally had enough players to start a $5-$10 Omaha/8 game at about 1 pm. The game was poorly run from the start; the rack only had enough nickels to give each player $50 in red chips. It took about an hour to get a rack fill.

The dealers had trouble reading the hands at the showdown. They also had trouble dividing the pot especially when it was divided among more than two players.

Many of the dealers were quite talkative and annoying. A few didn't hesitate to inform us that they didn't like dealing Omaha.

I left about 6 having booked small wins in both Hold'em and Omaha but it was not very enjoyable. I think I'll be sticking to the Taj and Foxwoods.

Why is it that the dealers seem much more competent dealing Omaha/8 in Vegas and CA?

01-28-2002, 01:56 PM