PDA

View Full Version : Dan Harrington

J_V
09-15-2004, 07:31 PM
Really nice guy and all......why are you talking to each busted playe like a child?

They really don't need to hear that their seventh place finish was a bigger accomplishment than your victory in 96. Seriously.

1. Glad to see you "knew" that nine was coming. Very perceptive.

2. Those poor other chumps like Mike McClain were suckers for starting w/ the best hand on suckout Saturday.

3. You are very intimidating. My stomach churns at the thought of having to see Action Dan Harrington across the table from me.

burningyen
09-15-2004, 10:33 PM
You can't be serious.

ThePopinjay
09-15-2004, 10:36 PM
YOU can't be serious.

TimTimSalabim
09-16-2004, 12:13 AM
No, YOU can't be serious.

(Hey, I think I've just reached that elusive third-level thinking!)

J_V
09-16-2004, 02:43 PM
I don't know what this mean, but I would have been majorly annoyed w/ Dan Harrington throughtout the final table.

broomcorn
09-16-2004, 03:38 PM
yeah, harrington's much more annoying than "dahh" or arieh (quite possibly the biggest tool in wsop history)...LOL

Richard Tanner
09-16-2004, 07:12 PM
I'm not sure what's going on here. I for one wish everyone had the courtesy of Dan. Ok so the accomplishment thing gets a little old, but coming from debatabley the best WSOP out there (don't debate it, just agree that it is debatable) I would take anything he said to heart.
Dan seems to be a good guy that understands that his win isn't anything compaired to what he did the past two years and what his opponents did this year especially.
At any rate, I apologize if I misunderstood this post (one to many "Are YOU serious" posts) but in all I would love to learn from Dan and would take anything he said to heart.

Cody

blank
09-16-2004, 07:27 PM
first of all, he won in 95.

second, he was just trying to remind them how far they'd come.

third, with the 9, atleast he wasnt trash talking, he just had a feeling and it came true.

finally, ure stupid.

JalKelly
09-16-2004, 07:46 PM
Dan Harrington = P I M P

post over

burningyen
09-16-2004, 08:04 PM
OK, I will try to explain why I think your comments are way off-base:
[ QUOTE ]
Really nice guy and all......why are you talking to each busted playe like a child?

They really don't need to hear that their seventh place finish was a bigger accomplishment than your victory in 96. Seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]
Krux had just gotten busted out of a possible $5M payday. That is a traumatic experience, despite the $800k consolation prize. Dan was trying to help ease the pain. Was there a tad bit of ego involved in his statement? Maybe. But from everything I've seen and read about Dan, I have no doubt he was more motivated by a desire to show his respect to another classy guy at the table. It helps that his statement was also absolutely true.
[ QUOTE ]
1. Glad to see you "knew" that nine was coming. Very perceptive.

[/ QUOTE ]
Your sarcasm detector needs refurbishing. He was obviously making it clear that he knew he made a bad play and got very lucky.
[ QUOTE ]
2. Those poor other chumps like Mike McClain were suckers for starting w/ the best hand on suckout Saturday.

[/ QUOTE ]
See above.
[ QUOTE ]
3. You are very intimidating. My stomach churns at the thought of having to see Action Dan Harrington across the table from me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you saying if you were at the same tournament table as Dan, you would like your chances?

Mason Malmuth
09-16-2004, 09:32 PM
Hi Richard:

I spent about 8 hours with Dan yesterday (going over the manuscript for his first book) and he has been a close friend of mine for almost 20 years.

So I can say for certain that you would be hard pressed to find a nicer or more honorable person. On the other hand, he's a very tough competitor who knows how to play many forms of poker, including the tournaments, better than almost anyone. He's also expert at chess and backgammon.

Best wishes,
Mason

J_V
09-16-2004, 09:51 PM
I'm with your Richard. I just think the way they edited the Series, it came off sort've strange. I know Mason vouches for him as a person and for his play, so I know he's not a bad guy.

I just didn't expect him to say something like, "I knew that nine was coming, I knew it!" That's something I would expect to hear from blank or JalKelly at the Party Poker play money tables.

And I did write this post in a confusing tone.

J_V
09-16-2004, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Krux had just gotten busted out of a possible $5M payday. That is a traumatic experience, despite the $800k consolation prize. Dan was trying to help ease the pain. Was there a tad bit of ego involved in his statement? Maybe. But from everything I've seen and read about Dan, I have no doubt he was more motivated by a desire to show his respect to another classy guy at the table. It helps that his statement was also absolutely true.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what his intention were, but it didn't come off well on camera. And Krux is no chump, I think he won a bracelet before.

[ QUOTE ]
Your sarcasm detector needs refurbishing. He was obviously making it clear that he knew he made a bad play and got very lucky.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a 0% chance he was being sarcastic.

[ QUOTE ]
Are you saying if you were at the same tournament table as Dan, you would like your chances?

[/ QUOTE ]

In all honesty, YES, I like my chances. If you haven't heard, I'm JV. And having played w/ many of the biggest names in poker, I could think of a 1000 more intimidating players.

But maybe his statement has merit, just because I wouldn't be intimidated doesn't mean other players aren't.

Ulysses
09-16-2004, 10:55 PM
If you haven't heard, I'm JV.

Whatever. You ever get out from behind your little keyboard and sit across a real table from me, I will bust you up and leave you crying just like your mom last night.

RowdyZ
09-16-2004, 11:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what his intention were, but it didn't come off well on camera. And Krux is no chump, I think he won a bracelet before.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a 0% chance he was being sarcastic.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In all honesty, YES, I like my chances. If you haven't heard, I'm JV. And having played w/ many of the biggest names in poker, I could think of a 1000 more intimidating players.

But maybe his statement has merit, just because I wouldn't be intimidated doesn't mean other players aren't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I guess 4 final tables, 1 win and 2 of those final tables in back to back years of huge fields was all just luck. I am sure the man has no skills at all.

eastbay
09-16-2004, 11:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you haven't heard, I'm JV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Junior Varsity?

eastbay

J_V
09-16-2004, 11:31 PM
Dan most certainly plays well, but he's not as good as Diablo in bed with my mom - you know what I'm saying. There's some SKIIIIiiiilllllz.

JARID
09-16-2004, 11:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Whatever. You ever get out from behind your little keyboard and sit across a real table from me, I will bust you up and leave you crying just like your mom last night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you are just like a pro wrestler! Nice. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Jarid

Ulysses
09-17-2004, 05:39 AM
OK, this is mainly just in appreciation of JV's mom, but I'll back him for a big HU match v. Harrington or whoever. Of course, JV can't touch me, but the boy knows some poker. Some of these young Internet punks can actually play a little.

Trainwreck
09-17-2004, 06:02 AM
He won in '95 and his hat needs adjusted, other then that, Dan is da man!

>TW<

djack
09-17-2004, 06:18 AM
what's his rating in chess, mason? is he a master?

and boy, he has some accent.

djack
09-17-2004, 06:24 AM
i looked up ratings for "harrington" and it does appear that he has a good ranking (2355) if I searched correctly.

I, on the other hand, have only an 800 ranking, as I only played in one tournament. And did poorly. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Incidentally, in that tournament the only match I won was a match where I offered a draw and was refused. Go figure!

djack
09-17-2004, 06:26 AM
One more reply to myself here. A USCF 2355 rating is considered a "master" rating, and I believe there are only about 400 above that.

300CE24
09-17-2004, 06:56 AM
Did JV's mom have nice tits? How bout her ass? See, she just offered me a full night for $5, and I am considering to take it.

BRGDS,

ericd
09-17-2004, 08:25 AM
This has been quite a learning experience for me. I believe I have a sense of humor similar to Dan. If the saving 9 had appeared for me I might have said the same thing. I would have been poking fun at myself. It would never have entered my mind that anyone could take me seriously.

Bremen
09-17-2004, 12:42 PM
Loz, I wondered that same thing when Mason posted :0) If a chess player said 'expert' there is a very defined range where that would fall. However a poker player could be referring to class A through GM.

Anyway, I wonder if Dan would play a match blind during a final table. Imagine the other players trying to figure out what we're talking about when we start spouting e4, c5, c3 (and just because I need to brag I destroyed a master at the Amateur East with that line, went 5-1 only losing to an IM :0)

Ulysses
09-17-2004, 02:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This has been quite a learning experience for me. I believe I have a sense of humor similar to Dan. If the saving 9 had appeared for me I might have said the same thing. I would have been poking fun at myself. It would never have entered my mind that anyone could take me seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

JV and I disagree on this, but that's pretty much how I took it as well. I thought Dan made a bad read on Greg and was mocking his move v. Greg's TPTK.

turnipmonster
09-17-2004, 08:26 PM
apparently dan used to play a lot in nyc at clubs like the mayfair, mostly NL with seidel, lederer, heimowitz etc. anyways, I play PL with some guys from those games and they all refer to dan as a very highly skilled player, and seem to have nothing but respect for his play. a few of these guys are really tough players who don't have respect for much else.

I think there's a possibility that the image that most people have of dan is pretty much what makes him dangerous.

--turnipmonster

turnipmonster
09-17-2004, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Some of these young Internet punks can actually play a little.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%, however I think it's easy to underestimate the kind of edge harrington would have over someone not used to playing live (not saying this is necessarily jv, just saying).

--turnipmonster