PDA

View Full Version : AA - misplayed?

ddubois
09-15-2004, 07:28 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

Hero (t945)
UTG (t965)
UTG+1 (t970)
UTG+2 (t945)
MP1 (t817)
MP2 (t1410)
MP3 (t1275)
CO (t800)
Button (t1195)
SB (t678)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises to t100</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls t100, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t300</font>, MP1 calls t200, CO calls t200.

Should I have just pushed pre-flop? The table was tight enough that I was concerend I would not get any loose idiot calls if I pushed.

Flop: (t915) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t645 (All-In)</font>, MP1 folds, CO folds.

Wow, what an ugly flop, two-pairs, sets, straights, flush\ draws, oh my. If I push here, do only hands that beat me call? Thus, would it be better to check-raise, hoping I can induce something like AQ to take a stab at the pot, or is the risk of checking through and giving something like QJ or Ah6h a free card too great?

Final Pot: t1560
<font color="green">Main Pot: t915 (t915), won by Hero.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: t645 (t645), returned to Hero.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
No showdown. Hero wins t1560. </font>

RavenJackson
09-15-2004, 07:47 PM
IMO you made the right play. The potential flush draw would be enough to make me want to push before the turn. Slow-playing your AA with this flop can be dangerous.

CrisBrown
09-15-2004, 07:48 PM
Hi ddubois,

Yes, you definitely should have pushed it pre-flop. You have 945 and the other players have even less. With the pre-flop raise and call ahead of you, there is 245 in the pot when it gets to you. A pot-sized reraise would be to 445, and that's half your stack. Given the stack sizes, you'd be happy to take the 245 that's out there right now. Regardless, the raise you made leaves you zero leverage on the post-flop action.

Cris

ddubois
09-15-2004, 08:57 PM
You have 945 and the other players have even less. With the pre-flop raise and call ahead of you, there is 245 in the pot when it gets to you. A pot-sized reraise would be to 445, and that's half your stack.

True. But do I need to raise the pot when I have such a large advantage? The first limper is getting 5:2 on his call, his call is wrong in an FTOP sense; the second limper is getting 7:2, with implied odds, is call is OK I suppose.

Regardless, the raise you made leaves you zero leverage on the post-flop action.

Not completely true. I have enough of a stack left to force anyone with 5 or fewer outs to be incorrect to call a flop push. If someone wants to call there with their top pair and double me through 80% of the time, that's a risk I should be willing to take, isn't it? If someone flops a flush draw, I won't have enough of a stack to force them to draw incorrectly, but I'll still win the 2/3rds of the time they miss. Not great, but not awful.

Given the stack sizes, you'd be happy to take the 245 that's out there right now.

Not true at all. I would be downright pissed. I am nearly 5:1 over anyone who wants to play with me. I want to get much more value for my hand; picking up 245 would be a catastrophe. I said it's a tight table; I want to accumulate chips with a big edge now while I can, because later I'll be blinded away and pushing A5o trying to steal blinds.