PDA

View Full Version : Paul Phillips comments on Arieh and Williams

shadow29
09-15-2004, 05:09 PM
http://extempore.livejournal.com/

A really interesting interpretation on things, I think. Also, Phillips comments on a hand not shown on ESPN that probably should have been shown. Any guesses as to what Arieh folded? Straight?

nolanfan34
09-15-2004, 05:22 PM
Paul has a lot of great comments in those posts. This one is great, regarding the Raymer vs. Arieh hand.

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone who followed the world series while it was happening was waiting to see this hand on TV, but it was more important to show several more shots of david williams' mom hugging people than it was to bore us with this pivotal hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny stuff.

Frankly, ESPN not showing that hand, and the 10-8 hand that Raymer bluffed with, is practically criminal. I can only hope they're saving it for a "best bluff" show. I understand that they edit these to convey a story, not to catalog every great hand, but I can't imagine it wasn't a dramatic moment when Josh gets up from the table, and paces around after Raymer's all-in.

Here's another comment from Paul that I liked:

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure it's no coincidence that once the "josh is a bit of a dick" story began, the cameras never left him as the producers crossed their fingers they'd catch another untoward comment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having worked in TV for a while, I would say it's about 99% that this is true.

Greg (FossilMan)
09-16-2004, 01:27 PM
In what I think will be food for thought for many posters here, my opinion is a lot more like Paul's than it is like most of the posts about Josh here. I think he's mostly a nice guy who said a couple of things he now regrets, and most of them being things he thought he was saying privately.

If anything, I take his "bust that MF" comment as a compliment. I am going to assume, at the risk of being wrong, that I got under his skin without ever being a jerk about it. That is, having me behind him for a day and a half, and my frequent playing back at him got him at least somewhat upset with me. Such that, when it came down to Dave and I, Josh was cheering for Dave (since Dave didn't make his poker life so difficult during the proceeding couple of days).

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

wayabvpar
09-16-2004, 04:10 PM
I said it before the WSOP, and it rings even more true today- I certainly don't want you at my table, ESPECIALLY with a big stack. It is exhausting trying to accumulate chips when another aggressive player constantly plays back at you with what MIGHT be any 2 cards. There are certainly easier styles to play against for an aggressive player like Josh.

I still think he is an arrogant jackass who reacted very badly to the stressful conditions.

Desdia72
09-16-2004, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In what I think will be food for thought for many posters here, my opinion is a lot more like Paul's than it is like most of the posts about Josh here. I think he's mostly a nice guy who said a couple of things he now regrets, and most of them being things he thought he was saying privately.

If anything, I take his "bust that MF" comment as a compliment. I am going to assume, at the risk of being wrong, that I got under his skin without ever being a jerk about it. That is, having me behind him for a day and a half, and my frequent playing back at him got him at least somewhat upset with me. Such that, when it came down to Dave and I, Josh was cheering for Dave (since Dave didn't make his poker life so difficult during the proceeding couple of days).

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe he said that because you busted him in another race situation holding the weaker hand, much like you did with several other players at the table. maybe he took offense to that and wanted someone to bust you for a change. it's like when that guy told you, "the Poker Gods giveth and they taketh" on that WCOOP hand you played against Sealand.
you see a guy running over the table with suckout after suckout or races with the weaker hand (even if it's not weak by much), some people start wishing and hoping for it to happen to you. me, i would'nt have said [censored] in Josh's position after winning $2.5 million unless you had personally offended me. that's a heck of alot of money to be tripping over a beat to an inferior hand. "just cut my check, it's been an experience, i'm out" /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Easy E
09-16-2004, 04:50 PM
pretty damn funny comment by Paul

Ionphore
09-16-2004, 04:59 PM
-Desdia72

You do realize once it was 3 handed that 2.5 million was the LEAST amount he could win. So to say he should be happy about getting the least he could out of the situation he was in is not entirely correct. Yes YOU would be happy with 2.5 million. But with the tension level and whatnot he is not thinking about 2.5 mil. In retrospect of course he will be quite satisfied with his result. But you make the assumption here that i beleive to be untrue...

lolita16
09-16-2004, 05:39 PM
I'm reasonably sure you have heard this over and over again, but you are a true class act. I could not have been more impressed with someone's table demeanor than yours. You had a couple of monster beats which you shook off with grace. (Why is it everyone loves to remember the occasional time you got a bit lucky instead of the few times you got *really* unlucky?) You had a handshake and some nice words to say to everyone who busted out. You kept your cool in the motor mouth situation when most would have lost it.

You are a true champion and a most gracious and humble winner. Hopefully we will see more like you. Congrats Greg!

Regards-

Desdia72
09-16-2004, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
-Desdia72

You do realize once it was 3 handed that 2.5 million was the LEAST amount he could win. So to say he should be happy about getting the least he could out of the situation he was in is not entirely correct. Yes YOU would be happy with 2.5 million. But with the tension level and whatnot he is not thinking about 2.5 mil. In retrospect of course he will be quite satisfied with his result. But you make the assumption here that i beleive to be untrue...

[/ QUOTE ]

you could win three-handed. what assumption do you believe i'm making here that's untrue? i never said Josh should've been happy about anything. i said if i was in his position, i would'nt have said [censored] [this is in reference to the "bust this/the motherf#cker remark"].

lolita16
09-16-2004, 06:40 PM
Ionphore,

Please, please for sake of all on this forum... save your time and fingers and move on to the next post. There are two fundamentals to realize on this forum.

#1 Desdia is always right

#2 When Desdia is wrong, refer to rule #1.

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Desdia72
09-16-2004, 08:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ionphore,

Please, please for sake of all on this forum... save your time and fingers and move on to the next post. There are two fundamentals to realize on this forum.

#1 Desdia is always right

#2 When Desdia is wrong, refer to rule #1.

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i like that.

*Desdia goes to the nearest print shop after reading this, pays to have a big bumper sticker printed up, and slapped on the back of his ride*

Dave Chapelle update: the hugely popular comedian decides to ditch his old saying in favor of a better new one:

"Desdia's RIGHT BIIIIIYAAAAATTTTCHHH!!"

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mason Malmuth
09-16-2004, 09:17 PM
Hi Greg:

I think what most people fail to realize is how competitive poker, and tournament poker can be, and at times virtually all players will release a little personal pressure that they perhaps shouldn't. It's like that in any sport where a lot is at stake.

Best wishes,
Mason