PDA

View Full Version : Why does this happen to me?

newcool
09-15-2004, 04:41 PM
I know this is a BB post but I just need to vent. I have experienced this situation at least 5 times in the last 2 days. What to do here?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed)

MP3 (t800)
CO (t800)
Button (t770)
SB (t785)
BB (t800)
Hero (t845)
UTG+1 (t800)
UTG+2 (t800)
MP1 (t800)
MP2 (t800)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
Hero calls t15, UTG+1 calls t15, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls t15, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls t15, Button folds, SB completes, <font color="CC3333">BB raises to t30</font>, Hero calls t15, UTG+1 calls t15, MP1 calls t15, CO calls t15, SB folds.

Flop: (t165) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets t770 (All-In)</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t815 (All-In)</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, CO folds.

Turn: (t1750) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: (t1750) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t1750

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB has Tc Ac (straight, ace high).
Hero has 8c 8s (three of a kind, eights).
Outcome: BB wins t1705. Hero wins t45. </font>

ThorGoT
09-16-2004, 04:53 PM
You are correct, this is a bad beat post. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Admit it, if you had known what BB had preflop, and on the flop, you would have played it exactly the same way, right? And you would have been correct to do so. Your opponent had a backdoor flush and a gutshot straight as his only outs (AA or TT gives you a full house, and then aren't you happy?). Even so, he was going to win slightly more than one-fourth of the time as of the flop (26.9%, according to two dimes). *One-fourth*. That's not really all that small a percentage. You basically have to make this call, I think, and you should be glad to see the opening bet (unless you want to try to nurse your bottom set, on a straight draw board, for some overcalls . . . risky, risky, risky . . .).

Now, I'll also note that you did not have the nuts. You would already have been losing to 9T, QQ, and JJ. Heck, who knows, maybe QQ or JJ folded after you. (Ok, I admit it, never would have happened). Whether the big blind's preflop and postflop betting could reasonably have put you on notice of any of those hands, I don't know. But you weren't *guaranteed* to be ahead calling, and you weren't guaranteed to win even if you were ahead. C'est la poker vie.

Ah, so much easier to say this when it didn't happen to you. Did I mention how I went out 10th with KK on an xxxx board (no 7s), when my opponent called off his last 300 chips on the turn with a 77 and a 7 came on the turn? Now *that's* a bad beat. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

poboy
09-16-2004, 05:43 PM
I think you already know what to do in this situation, cause you did it. There is absolutely nothing you can do about getting outdrawn(except fold every hand). As you said this was a bad beat, and it happens to everyone. Last night I took 3 brutal beats in a row, I won't go into details but they were even worse than this one. You just have to be happy knowing you went in with the best of it, and more often than not you would come out smelling like a rose. Just imagine if you could repeat that exact situation many many times, your bankroll would look very nice indeed.