PDA

View Full Version : Beer is good for you

nolanfan34
09-15-2004, 04:07 PM
Thank you Canada! From the AP wire....

Beer in moderation could be good for you

TORONTO — Beer, a health food? That's what some Canadian researchers report.

A study from the University of Western Ontario finds a brew could be good for you. The researchers say beer has antioxidant boosters that could help fight cancer, heart disease and diabetes.

But the key is moderation. The researchers found three beers would have the opposite effect.

The study was funded by beermakers Guinness and Labatt. But the university says the financial support had no influence on the outcome.

namknils
09-15-2004, 04:10 PM
meh, this is old news. There have been study's like this before.

The other night I smoked a cigar then grabbed a beer. When my wife saw the beer she said "you're having a beer too?!" I just said hey after that cigar I need to do something healthy for myself! /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

superleeds
09-15-2004, 04:11 PM
n/m

benfranklin
09-15-2004, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Beer in moderation could be good for you

[/ QUOTE ]

Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess.

Here's some more on the subject:

[ QUOTE ]
"STOUT ADVICE

“The next time you're deciding between a pilsner and a hearty glass of stout, go dark--it's better for you. According to a University of Wisconsin researcher, dark beer has more flavonoids, the same stroke-fighting antioxidant compounds that have given red, green, and black teas such good reps. Maximize these benefits by drinking dark beer with meals, when flavonoids fight the naturally occurring free radicals that spawn as your body metabolizes food."

Men’s Journal, May 2004

[/ QUOTE ]

wacki
09-15-2004, 05:16 PM
Actually even more important than the antioxidants is alcohol itself. Dr. Curtis Ellison, of the Boston University School of Medicine, asserted that "abstinence from alcohol is a major risk factor for coronary heart disease."

Alcohol in itself is very healthy when taken properly. It's the pattern of drinking that is important. Such as a half a drink every time you eat dinner. How much you can drink varies tremendously. People who drink alcohol properly have 50% less coronary heart disease. The Nutrition Committee of the American Heart Association recently reported that "The lowest mortality occurs in those who consume one or two drinks per day."

In addition to having fewer heart attacks and strokes, moderate consumers of alcoholic beverages (beer, wine or distilled spirits or liquor) are generally less likely to suffer hypertension or high blood pressure, peripheral artery disease, Alzheimer's disease and the common cold. Sensible drinking also appears to be beneficial in reducing or preventing diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, bone fractures and osteoporosis, kidney stones, digestive ailments, stress and depression, poor cognition and memory, Parkinson's disease, hepatitis A, pancreatic cancer, macular degeneration (a major cause of blindness), angina pectoris, duodenal ulcer, erectile sysfunction, hearing loss, gallstones, liver disease and poor physical condition in elderly.

Also, tobacco isn't that bad for you either. Unfortunitally farmers use phosphate fertilizer on tobacco which is high in heavy metals such as polonium, uranium, radon, etc. If they simply used bat guano people wouldn't die from cigarettes. Yes, I know there are bad chemicals. Benzyl pyrene is the only one of any real concern, but it isn't that dangerous. Atleast not compared to polonium. If I remember correctly, a pack a day for a year is equal to cutting you lungs open and cooking via the sun them on Panama beach for 800 years.

Polonium Google (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=tobacco+polonium&spell=1)

wacki
09-15-2004, 05:17 PM
http://www2.potsdam.edu/alcohol-info/AlcoholAndHealth.html