PDA

View Full Version : Just calling a raise with a made hand on the turn.

MercTec
09-15-2004, 03:34 PM
No hand history so bear with me.

2/4 at Pacific

I'm in late position on a fairly loose passive table with 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

3 players limp, I limp, Button limps (decent player) SB folds and BB checks.

Flop:

J 5 9r (suits unimportant)

Checked around.

Turn is an 8 completing my straight.

Checked to me and I bet, button raises and everyone folds. I call. (Not really worried about Q10 because this player would have aggressively played an OESD on the flop).

River comes a 2.

I wait a few seconds and bet out, button raises, I reraise and button calls.

(My thinking here was that he had 2 pair and by betting out the river I want him thinking that I am either bluffing at a missed draw or caught a weak 2 pair. I was confident he would raise me thus I gained an extra bet rather than reraising the turn and have him just call my bet on the river.)

Comments?

All-In
09-15-2004, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Turn is an 8 completing my straight.

Checked to me and I bet, button raises and everyone folds. I call. (Not really worried about Q10 because this player would have aggressively played an OESD on the flop).

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you should reraise.

Malcom Reynolds
09-15-2004, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If you're not worried then you should reraise right here. Trap him for another bet before he gets away. Right?

Alobar
09-15-2004, 03:51 PM
Sounds like you had a good read and played it accordingly

dont "stall" before betting. Thats an easy tell to spot.

MercTec
09-15-2004, 03:54 PM
My thinking was that if I reraise, he calls. I bet out the river and he calls. I win 4 of his BB. I call the turn after he raises and bet out the river, he raises, I reraise and he calls. I win 5 of his BB.

Sure this could have blown up in my face if he was chasing and a 10 or a Q hit on the river, but my safe card came and then I pumped it.

Flawed logic on my part??

Jonny Melon
09-15-2004, 03:57 PM
I prefer getting my money in on the turn. If you 3-bet the turn and bet the river, you are almost certain to get 2 more BBs out of your straight. Here you got 3 BBs, but the river bet won't get raised often enough for that to be a profitable long-term move (such as if villain had a pair + draw on turn and just a pair on the river).

Added aside -- be cautious of the river "stall bet". That screams that you have a strong hand and could cost you that river raise.

Jon

MercTec
09-15-2004, 04:03 PM
Should have said I "think" a few seconds.....i quickly went over the hand and what he could have and bet out...wasn't really intentional....though it could very well have been intrpreted that way. In this case it wasn't...which is good. This isn't a line I think I would take often....but I felt that everything was aligned just right.