PDA

View Full Version : Did David Williams make any good plays?

sdplayerb
09-15-2004, 02:38 PM
I just don't remember any good plays he made that were on tv..they all seemed quite questionable:

1. The check call with 66 vs Luske..much better to pushin then call allin.
2. The call allin with K9, I believe he still had a decent amount of chips, plus was about to move up $100K.
3. The 55 vs Arieh
4. Even the AQ vs Arieh was questionable.
5. The final hand. He was pot committed on the river, but the turn call was bad.

I don't remember any plays that were good. I'm sure there were some not shown, and obviously he has to be pretty good to have gotten to the final 27.

SD

curtains
09-15-2004, 03:56 PM
Im sure the K9 hand wasnt so bad. They give almost no details, and I had no idea how many chips he had. Just because you saw him double up 5 minutes earlier, doesn't mean that 45 minutes didn't elapse in tournament time. He was probably pot-comitted (If this is the case, his mistake was not moving allin to begin with).

flair1239
09-15-2004, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Im sure the K9 hand wasnt so bad. They give almost no details, and I had no idea how many chips he had. Just because you saw him double up 5 minutes earlier, doesn't mean that 45 minutes didn't elapse in tournament time. He was probably pot-comitted (If this is the case, his mistake was not moving allin to begin with).

[/ QUOTE ]

Such is the problem with poker coverage. That is why you see so many "so and so's call was horrible" posts. Without seeing many more hands, to get context it is impossible to evaluate many of these decisions on a "island" information wise.

sdplayerb
09-15-2004, 07:42 PM
I could be wrong, but it looked like it was around 1/4 of his chips. Which is why he didn't just pushin and why his call was bad.

KanigawaCards7
09-15-2004, 08:01 PM
He made no good plays the entire tournament. All his plays were terrible. luckily enough he came in second by playing like ****. Out of 2600 players he was the 2599 best player, beating out that smelly guy who anted himself to death on day one.

thetman
09-15-2004, 08:01 PM
He makes Varkonyi look good IMO.

Dominic
09-15-2004, 09:01 PM
the ones you mentioned were questionable, but like another poster said, we don't know the context those plays were made in.

the only hand I couldn't believe how he played was the 22...when the river gave him the boat and Josh the flush...he had to know Josh was drawing to the flush by the point and most definitely would've bet big on the river.

He lost a huge chance to get a lot more chips there.

TStoneMBD
09-15-2004, 09:05 PM
dominic you dumba$$ that wasnt williams that was murphy.

sdplayerb
09-15-2004, 09:47 PM
Reread my original post.
1. I said on tv.
2. I said obviously he has to be good just to have made the final 27.

And your defense of his 55 play shows you know little on how to play anyway.
He called 1/7th of his chips to hit a one in 7 shot.
If he hits, he may or may not double up, if he misses he gets pushed out of the hand.

It was a bad play, especially with his postflop game plan (which I actually thought was fine).

KanigawaCards7
09-15-2004, 10:29 PM
the 55 call is the type of play he makes that helped him beat bad players like you.

Nick B.
09-15-2004, 10:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the 55 call is the type of play he makes that helped him beat bad players like you.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many times was he all in with a dominated hand?

KanigawaCards7
09-15-2004, 10:41 PM
not very often???

sdplayerb
09-15-2004, 11:57 PM
I agree.
There was only one time that he was actually majorly behind in a hand, the K9 hand.

The person who made that post is clearly wrong.

madmisha
09-16-2004, 12:09 AM
I think TV coverage is very misleading. There were always significant changes in the chip counts between breaks in the coverage. How many boring blind steals do we miss, when only the all-in hands are shown?

Mad Misha-home page http://poker.ez-guide.net/

sdplayerb
09-16-2004, 12:22 AM
so you are saying he got his chips in numerous times with the worst of it that we did not see?

Ralph Wiggum
09-16-2004, 02:32 AM
I don't remember him doing anything at the final table. Don't recall blind steals, pushing someone off a hand with a big bet, or anything at all. He just folded his way to 2nd, and got lucky (and sometimes making bad plays: 55 w/ a dark check?) when he played. So yeah, I'd say his 2nd place finish at the final table was mostly luck. I can't comment on his play on previous days. I'm also not a great player, so my observations may be lacking.

PukaPlaya
09-16-2004, 03:22 AM
<<I think TV coverage is very misleading. There were always significant changes in the chip counts between breaks in the coverage. How many boring blind steals do we miss, when only the all-in hands are shown?>>

Very true. I loved the Turning Stone broadcast for this reason. I would much prefer to watch the game hand by hand than get all bullcrap filler. The Nuts sucks.

I wish they would show the game and then have a "Behind the WSOP" show to do all the backgrounds and nonsense.