PDA

View Full Version : Where to start

Jake (The Snake)
09-15-2004, 02:30 PM
I've been playing almost strictly limit hold'em online for the past year but am finding it a bit boring. Moreover, I feel I'm a much better NL player than limit.

Anyway, I have a few questions. What are the key differences between limit and NL ring games on Party?

What about variance? With the same bankroll and same skill level, would you expect a player playing limit or NL to make more money in ring games? What should I read?

amoeba
09-15-2004, 02:37 PM
I found the move from limit to NL to be quite profitable.

single day variance is bigger but variance over a week tends to be much smaller at NL than limit, at least for me.

in limit you pretty much have to catch your nuts to win, at least I find that the case at low limit party. This is not the case in NL.

post your bankroll and we can be of more help.

Jake (The Snake)
09-15-2004, 03:00 PM
My poker bankroll assuming the extra $37.50 I'm going to get from signing up at Party (I'm splitting the 25+50 bonus for referral with someone... I'm not missing any big bonus opportunity right would be about $365. However, I am willing to deposit at most $235 more if this gets my bankroll up to a higher limit or something.

Poker Jon
09-15-2004, 03:06 PM
Jake,

You should start at the 0.1/0.25c level - anything lower than this is pointless IMO. ONce you get good at this level the standard doesnt seem to change much up until $1/2 where I find the play gets slightly tougher. That being said though, I play at Stars and don't touch Party with a barge pole, so it could be different.

The most important thing in NLHE is to push every edge you have to the maximum. Make people pay for draws and DON'T DON'T chase draws like you would in LHE.

Jon

tripdad
09-15-2004, 05:35 PM
you have plenty bankroll for .50/1.00 n/l. if you lose 365BB there, you should definitely try something else.

as far as pure earnings, i myself make far more in ring games(of course i'm playing at higher stakes tables), but variance is much higher also. i would guess most of the online pros depend on the limit ring games for their bread and water. i am starting to play more N/L, so i'll know better after awhile longer.

cheers!

Jake (The Snake)
09-15-2004, 05:45 PM
I thought bankroll mattered more in comparison to the buyin rather than the BB. I thought I read somewhere that 20x the buyin (or $500 for the $25 game at party) is what you should be looking at. Is this wrong?

tripdad
09-15-2004, 05:56 PM
there really is no right or wrong, just a matter of comfort level. i operate in the $5/10SH game with 100BB. hell, if i lose it, i just transfer more money...big deal. i don't deal with a "poker bankroll", that is, if i want to take money out to buy something, i have no problem doing so.

when i started playing online, i put in $200, played the $1/2 ring game for a couple weeks. went to the $2/4 full ring with $300...yadayadayada...i've cashed out several times, and have yet to refill. if i need to, i will, but right now i'm sitting on a really nice leather sofa and 2 recliners in my family room and a nice sectional in the living room paid for by playing poker about an hour a day for not quite a year now.

cheers!