PDA

View Full Version : Was this way too aggressive?

DavidC
09-15-2004, 02:17 PM
Hey guys... I was a little nervous about this hand, probably with good reason. I make these kinds of plays quite a bit, and they're probably the reason that I'm a break-even player.

Could someone comment on this, to see if I should have put this down on the flop?

[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="666666">5 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.25 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 10.25 BB, between Hero and MP3.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

WEASEL45
09-15-2004, 02:21 PM
Unless this guy is very aggressive, you can probably fold on the turn unimproved unless you think he would do this with a flush draw or something like that

flair1239
09-15-2004, 02:49 PM
For heads unp the action is fine on the flop. I guess I would either check/fold the turn. Another possibility, is since a blank fell on the turn, you could bet into him (because of the possibility that he is on a flush draw) and fold to a raise.

RcrdBoy
09-15-2004, 03:25 PM
Why 3 bet the flop? Your hand is already defined. I call the raise and check call to show down.

I don't like folding HU in a situation like this. You are either way ahead or way behind (probably way behind).

BTW, find a better table. 2 to the flop @ .50/1.00 is a waste of time

AncientPC
09-15-2004, 11:28 PM
I'd raise the flop too, but call the cap and fold on turn if a blank falls.

AdamL
09-16-2004, 01:18 AM
Call the flop raise, fold unimproved. (Notwithstanding any specific maniac reads on this guy.)

DavidC
09-16-2004, 07:27 AM
I want to let you guys know that I didn't have a read on this guy... at least, I don't remember having one.

However, at the end of the hand, he flipped over K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif for the nut flush. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I know that it doesn't change the value of my play, given that I didn't have any information about the player, but I thought that because it was heads up in a raised pf the guy would be trying to bluff me. I also thought that since the pot was big the guy might try to buy it.

frank_iii
09-16-2004, 09:56 AM
I think you played it fine but I'd bet the turn since he could be on a flush draw. If he raises, call down. I'm not the best HU player, though, so take it with a grain of salt.

edit: Woops, he *was* on a draw. You would have made a nice pot if he didn't river it.

frank_iii
09-16-2004, 10:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Call the flop raise, fold unimproved. (Notwithstanding any specific maniac reads on this guy.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is terrible advice. You probably won't improve on the turn so, if you're going to spend the money to call the flop in hopes of having the best hand, *at least* check/call down all the way if a non-diamond comes.

Plus, in case he's trying to buy a free card, you need to punish him by betting out the turn when a non-diamond comes.

DavidC
09-16-2004, 04:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
edit: Woops, he *was* on a draw. You would have made a nice pot if he didn't river it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, as I said, I didn't have a read on the guy, so we're discussing game theory here.. The guy was betting at me with 12 outs (777 + diamonds). It was a decent, but slightly unprofitable raise from him on the flop (perhaps he's hoping for implied odds?).

It was a bad bet on the turn...

(if he has knowledge that I'm going to call him down.)

Of course, I think the guy was probably just a loony.

frank_iii
09-16-2004, 04:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It was a bad bet on the turn...

(if he has knowledge that I'm going to call him down.)

Of course, I think the guy was probably just a loony.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? While his flop play was questionable, on the turn after you checked he may have thought he could win it outright with a bet. &lt;shrug&gt; I don't necessarily think it's loony.

AdamL
09-16-2004, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You probably won't improve on the turn so, if you're going to spend the money to call the flop in hopes of having the best hand, *at least* check/call down all the way if a non-diamond comes.

[/ QUOTE ]

He has middle pair. I don't think there is such a thing as a backdoor gutshot.

Most common hand for your opponent here is a pair of aces or better.

There are 7.5 SB in the pot and it costs him 1SB to call. He's getting 7.5 to 1. He is 8 to 1 to make two-pair or trips. Given it helps to call when raised for image purposes, this is an ok call.

You aren't calling the flop "in hopes of having the best hand". Rarely would you have the best hand here. When someone raises the preflop raiser when there is both an ace and a king on the board, he almost always means business. After all, don't you put the pfr on an ace or king type of hand usually?

I'd just put a note on the guy that he is very aggressive with good draws and keep it in mind. But really, it's when you have TPTK that you'll use that information, not when you're holding middle pair.

DavidC
09-17-2004, 01:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
on the turn after you checked he may have thought he could win it outright with a bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good point... semi bluff, eh?