PDA

View Full Version : Just calling down on the button -- too loose passive?

Aaron W.
09-15-2004, 12:33 PM
Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (7 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, CO calls, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls, CO calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, MP1 folds, CO folds, Hero calls.

River: (7 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9 BB

The flop call might have been a little loose, but I made it because it a couple players seemed to always call one bet on the flop. When I called the turn bet, I decided I would at call the river bet (or raise if I improved) - is this line of thinking in line with good play?

As a hypothetical, do I bet the river if it's checked to me?

sluttysteve
09-15-2004, 12:34 PM
I'd raise the flop to see where I'm at and how BB feels about his hand, and possibly take a free card on the turn or the free showdown.

topspin
09-15-2004, 12:45 PM
With a small pot and no draws on the flop that someone could be pushing, I like folding here. If I'm going to play, I prefer raising with the intention of folding to a 3-bet, with calling it down a distant third.

flair1239
09-15-2004, 12:50 PM
I hate these type of hands. I guess I would raise the flop, call a three bet and fold the turn unimproved.

However you did improve on the turn, For your outs on the turn if you are behind still, I think you can say a J,Q,K, or A will guarantee you a split pot. One of those cards may not be clean, but I think you can give youself 12 outs to a split pot, so on the turn you just barely have the pot odds for a call.

May be weak, but if it's checked to me on the river, I check it through.

Aaron W.
09-15-2004, 01:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd raise the flop to see where I'm at and how BB feels about his hand

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about that, but with 3 players in between, if he just calls, then the pot will become gigantic (as I suspect the others would call just one more). Then I've got 5 people contending for a large pot, and nobody is going anywhere. I think raising (if ever) should wait until the turn. Besides, it would also be right for him to 3-bet a lesser hand to drive out the other players, which means I really don't get any information.