PDA

View Full Version : Predict Big Al's pick of the week

B00T
09-15-2004, 12:12 PM
I am going out on a limb and saying the Jets. Chargers got lucky last week againist the Texans with fumbles left and right. Jets looked impressive last week and Chad didnt even do much. Santana Moss is going to come up huge. With the SD special teams, I wouldnt be surprised if he runs back a punt for a TD. Chargers are the worst team as far as I am concerned. Spread is at -3.

Beerfund
09-15-2004, 12:25 PM
I dont know if its worthy of BA pick o the week but at -3 has alot of value and will prolly be -4 or worse by game time

Easy E
09-15-2004, 12:29 PM
talk about fickle....

Beerfund
09-15-2004, 01:44 PM
What?? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

babigm
09-15-2004, 01:50 PM
that there's no pick! What kind of odds can I get for that? It's like betting the tie in baccarrat, except I've got 15 other choices instead of two.

As for your pick, I haven't looked at the other games yet, but it seems reasonable. The Chargers did get lucky aginst the Texans (grr...) since they got severly outgained and got the benefit of 4 turnovers to 0. From the two that I saw, they were pretty "flukey" turnovers too; one was tipped 30 feet in the air at the line of scrimmage and another was a fumble inches away from the ground, the ball still under Davis' body but grabbed by one of the defenders. The chargers offense might be better then people predicted, but their defense is as bad as advertised. From what I saw, the Jets looked real good too, and have a high powered offense, so this is probably a good play, though I don't even know who's home and who's away yet, that may change things...

Beerfund
09-15-2004, 02:00 PM
dallas -4 at home v. cleveland.

he already posted it in the other gambling forum /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Easy E
09-15-2004, 02:52 PM
try my post again

CarlSpackler
09-15-2004, 05:17 PM
I also like the Jets. They had a turnover on their opening possession last week which turned into a quick Cincy TD, and they still came back to win quite easily. I thought their defense did a fine job against Rudi Johnson and a top notch O-line. A couple of teams are significantly undervalued early in the nfl season every year, and I happen to think the Jets are one of those teams this year (probably due to their 6-10 record last year, and Pennington’s struggles down the stretch against some tough teams) . While I don’t think cMart will blow up again, I think the Jets will have no problem moving the ball and scoring against a suspect Chargers defense, due to Pennington and his improved receiving core and o-line. Also, New York’s biggest weakness is the CB position, and the Chargers don’t have a stud receiver to exploit this. Too much firepower for the Bolts to handle.

Toro
09-15-2004, 06:11 PM
Arizona +8 vs. NE

Arizona's not as bad as the general betting public thinks and the Patriots are not as good as the general betting public thinks. Arizona is home and in the desert with 100+ heat. Take the points.

kdog
09-15-2004, 10:22 PM
Your reasoning has merit Toro but it would be a cold day in Hell before Big Al took an 8 pt dog as the shoe in of the week.

anatta
09-16-2004, 01:43 AM
The Chargers weren't severely outgained. The total yardage was remarkably close. The Chargers also have a "secret weapon" in TE Gates. This guy gives them another weapon to go with LT (who caught 100 passes last year). With Gates and LT, the wide outs, who were shut out in the first half, actually caught some balls in the second, and looked okay. They went into Houston and beat them and Breese looked pretty good, so I think Chargers are not the worst team in league, but rather just an average bad team. Oh, and rookie kicker can kick it straight, (PK Nate Keading 3rd round pick, nailed 48 yarder first NFL kick letter perfect hit another one, much needed improvement).

NY Jets should shread Chargers young and bad d. Martin looked incredible. (he doesn't fumble) Chargers should be able to score vs. Jets, but not enough. Good team vs. Bad, I like the Jets to cover on the road, although I am always wary betting against a home dog. Jets beat chargers in SD two years ago, like 40-7 or something, Charger remember, but Jets killed them, SD was 5-0, finished 8-8).

babigm
09-16-2004, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Chargers weren't severely outgained. The total yardage was remarkably close.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, I hadn't actually looked at the final stats, I was going by the stats they were showing during the game which didn't include the final two drives. I think what I said before is still true (offense is better then people guessed, defense may be worse), but I see their passing attack wasn't as bad as I thought.