PDA

View Full Version : Final version- Official "3+1 NFL Challenge- 2004" rules

Easy E
09-15-2004, 11:00 AM
Okay, here are the official rules for the "3+1 NFL Challenge- 2004" handicappers contest. My comments are in a reply to this post.

<font color=" blue">
1. Each week, I will post the official 3+1 contest line in 2+2, in the Sports Betting forum, starting 9/15/04. Primarily I will take the lines from the Stardust sports book online. I may make up missing lines myself to beat the game-posting deadline. I will wait as long as is feasible in order to get as many Stardust lines as possible.

Once I post the line for the games, they will NOT change, even if the outside lines change. Feel free to take advantage. Occasionally I may post the 3+1 lines with some games missing, catching up when the sports books do.

2. Similar to last year, your picks should be listed in the following manner:
$400 Bills
$300 Eagles
$200 Raiders
$100 Chiefs

<font color="green"> Please try to use the team names- it will make it much easier for people, including myself, to gather data </font>

The official 3+1 line is the only correct point spread. If your list includes incorrect spreads, those +/- spreads will be ignored /corrected for you in the master ledger. The team chosen will be the corrected choice, regardless of the correct point spread.

3. Each contestant must post 4 games, listing the team they are choosing, along with the amount of the bet on that game. There must be one $400 bet, one $300, one $200 and one $100

Unlike last year, I will not be guessing as to the bet values or order, or looking throughout any forums for posts that might qualify as your picks. If your post isn't clear and you don't correct it in time, your picks will be assumed to match up with the lowest bet at the bottom.

<font color="purple">So, if you post " Jets +3, Lions -4" and nothing else, you will have a $200 bet on the Jets, a $100 bet on the Lions </font> <font color="red"> AND you will have two automatic losses for the $400 and $300 picks </font>

4. Your picks must be posted in the official "3+1 NFL Challenge- 2004: Week XX" thread that I will start each week. Your post must be time-stamped at least 1 hour EST prior to the network-listed start time of the earliest game that you have chosen. The 2+2 forum timestamp is the official time for determining this.

I will sometimes post a "Challenge now closed" reply to indicate this deadline, but not always.

Any changes to your picks must be posted by the same deadline. <font color="red"> If your picks included an early game, any revisions to ANY of your games chosen MUST be posted by the deadline of the earliest game! </font>

ALL of your picks must be posted together. Do not post for early games individually and then add a second post with your last 3 games later on in the week.

5. Scoring- you must beat the point spread to "win" your money points that you "bet" on the game. Ties against the official 3+1 line's point spread are worth $0. Losses subtract from your bankroll, which starts at $0.
There is no vig on any bets! (maybe, down the road, when I learn how to handle it) /images/graemlins/mad.gif

6. I will post the updated standings by the following week, usually the day after the last game (as to when corrections will be posted.... that depends on how badly I screwed up) /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

<font color="green"> 7. Each week one "winner" will be declared, even if a number of handicappers tie for the top. The final decision as to who is each week's "champ" resides with me. <font color="purple"> See rule #10 for ways to influence this process </font></font>

8. This process will repeat throughout the year for each week of the regular season. When we get within a few weeks of the end of the regular season, we will work out some method of PM the picks for the leaders, so no advantages can be lost by your posting before the others. (we'll call this the "Big Al" rule )

9. Any tiebreakers needed for the end of the year to determine the final "3+1" champ for 2004, will be as follows:
a) Total wins
b) Some secondary tiebreaker- possibly a playoff game challenge.

10. I will finalize all arbitration decisions that are required. Appeals must go through me (bribes are encouraged- compliments don't count).
<font color="purple">If the conflict involves me, no whining when you get screwed over. <font color="green">
Do not be surprised if I use my unfettered power to cheat my way to victory at the end of the year. Don't try to claim that I didn't warn you! /images/graemlins/grin.gif </font></font>

11. The only prize won by the champion at the end of the year is the satisfaction of victory and the ability to list themselves as the "3+1 Master NFL Handicapper" until the following year (you have official permission to put that in your bio).

Don't come looking for your gold crown and WSOP-level cash.
</font>

Easy E
09-15-2004, 11:04 AM
1) Since I wasn't doing the vig "correctly" (on purpose) and it just complicates matters, I'm simplifying my life. There didn't seem to be a huge consensus on using this, anyway. People who are close to break-even should recognize that they are really in the hole, anyway.

2) No O/U totals: Opinion was generally split, and it seemed that the anti-total people were somewhat vehement against having totals as an option. Would any of you care to comment? (PM me if you prefer)

On to Week 2, everyone (while I fix Week 1 results.... idiot)

SossMan
09-15-2004, 12:46 PM
hey, thanks for taking all this time to do this, by the way. this should be really fun and you do a good job (at coordinating, not so much at actually picking the games, though /images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

Easy E
09-21-2004, 04:06 PM
n/m

Easy E
09-22-2004, 10:19 PM
n/m

Easy E
09-29-2004, 10:27 AM
n/m

Easy E
10-01-2004, 07:41 PM
maybe I can get a pill for this

Easy E
10-04-2004, 05:12 PM
Doctor, I need a shot!

Easy E
10-12-2004, 04:15 PM
n/m

Easy E
10-13-2004, 11:41 PM
/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Easy E
10-19-2004, 03:31 PM
"charmy dragged me back in!"

Easy E
10-26-2004, 02:22 PM
am I doing this just to build my posting stats? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Easy E
11-12-2004, 06:11 PM
welcome!

Easy E
12-16-2004, 12:50 PM
11. The only prize won by the champion at the end of the year is the satisfaction of victory and the ability to list themselves as the "<font color="green">2004</font> 3+1 Master NFL Handicapper" until the following year (you have official permission to put that in your bio).

<font color="green"> In order to have a chance to claim the right to add this, you must post picks in the last two weeks of the season, along with any "playoff" picks to determine a winner. You can't rest on your laurels and win the title by default- no guts, no glory.</font>