PDA

View Full Version : Blinds Stealing

beardy21
09-15-2004, 07:22 AM
theres 5 left in a 10 seater SNG and ive got 3K. Im to the right of a player who consistently is stealing my blind. IF its been folded to him and hes either on the button or in SB he will automatically double the blinds. Thsi happened a great number of times and id mostly folded when the blinds were small. However he doubles the blind in SB (100/200) and i throw a raise with Q3 and he quickly folds. Then the blinds move up to 200/400 and he doubles after its been folded and i push about 3K in with A4 and he quickly calls with A6. Was this the right move to make as it was likely he was holding trash and would have had to fold and there was 1200 chips out? Or was it a bad play as i should have realised that he now knows that im not afraid to go over the top of him and he'll only raise me with better hands and that i should have waited for a better spot to move in on a looser player? I would appreciate any opinions on this

parappa
09-15-2004, 07:47 AM
I think that if I had 2000 instead of 3000, I'd come over the top with A4 just about every time. With 3000 at 200/400 I think it's a little closer, but the point that I'm trying to make is that I'm saying this without a read. If you know that he's stealing with a much wider range of hands, it makes me more likely to want to do this. If he's a player who knows how far he can push you and has a good idea of which hands you'll come back over the top with and has intentionally done it again to get action because he's sure that his A6 will dominate you then you're up against a god and are going to lose.

I don't think that's the case here, though--given that he called your all-in with A6 after you showed demonstrable tightness makes me think you were just unlucky that he woke up with a hand that he was committed to.

Note that his stack size (which I don't quite get from your post) is critical here...he has to have enough chips that he can fold and still have a playable stack. If he had like 1000 his 2xbb raise was the equivalent of an all-in, though he might not've known it and your over-the-top was guaranteed to get called, which again I'm not sure you mind.

I'm on both sides of this move pretty routinely at 10+1, and I'm quite happy to either push or come over the top in the blinds with shortish stacks and Ax. The issue here is whether your stack was too big to want to do it. Against someone that I easily had covered, this is easy, but against someone with a stack as big as mine, I'm much less likely. All in all I think I would've played it the same.