PDA

View Full Version : Emotional Damage From Repeated 4th Place Finishes

In Paradise
09-15-2004, 06:48 AM
Anyone ever have that? I have been playing SNGs for about 8 months on a regular basis. I have won every month. I have been playing online ring games for 12 months and have been ahead at the end of every month. So I am confident in my talent, but the stretch I am in now is hurting bad. And yes, I am actually ahead for this month too. Only about 20% ROI (my 8 month avg is 32%), but I am still ahead. But I have finished 4th in 11 of the last 13 tourneys that I missed the money.
I'm sure others have had similar streaks and some even worse. How did it effect you? When I had 12 out of 13 out of the money not so long ago, I actually took that better than this streak of 4th place finsihes when I miss the money. I lost more money in the other streak, but this one hurts more. I guess there is just something about getting that close to the money every tourney (which means my game is probably ok) and then going out losing a race or a 60-40 situation every time!
Oh, well. I don't have many friends that actually play poker and I just had to vent.

stripsqueez
09-15-2004, 10:02 AM
those are some nasty streaks - i'm obviously a novice when having played 3-400 SNG's my record is 6 out of the money

playing touneys is a lot about being flexible - tight early, mad late - big stack/short stack - optimum for on-line SNG's i figure its simply a more common state for good players to be short stacked late so 4th and 5th spot are going to be frequent

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

rachelwxm
09-15-2004, 12:06 PM
take it easy. Assume u have ITM 40%, the chance that u are out of money 12/13 is 13*.6^12*.4 = 1.1%! So it should happens once for 100 t you play on average .

chill888
09-15-2004, 12:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
take it easy. Assume u have ITM 40%, the chance that u are out of money 12/13 is 13*.6^12*.4 = 1.1%! So it should happens once for 100 t you play on average .

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean once for every set of 13 independent tourney's he plays. I think.

jaydoggie
09-15-2004, 12:43 PM
ive been there. it effected me the same way, its incredibly frustrating and made me doubt my play. the one thing you need to definately not do is getting too tight at the bubble just trying to squeeze in. be a little carefuler, and if youre playing on stars try not to get allin PF as much. i know on party its hard because the blinds are so large. on 'stars you can usually 3X and get away if you need to.

trust me it can be worse. i once went out 9th 5 consecutive games with AA/KK or a set. especially when youre playing with a small bankroll a 5 game swing with under 10 mintues of play per game can be particularly devistating.

willie
09-15-2004, 12:49 PM
hang in there.....

one week i'll be 10/12 itm,

then on the weekend i'll be about 2/12.

just play the same consistant winning game and it'll work out. have faith that you're playing properly and the numbers can't run against you that long.

chill888
09-15-2004, 01:00 PM
buy a couple of beers and play at a lower limit for a couple of days trying to play your best game - and enjoy yourself - chat a bit, etc. BUT Don't let losses effect your game or losing streaks will become commonplace

beardy21
09-15-2004, 01:05 PM
When i was going through a bad run the chips seem to mean less. The way i got over it was i cashed out my whole online bank role into my bank account and then took a day off. Then i brought it all back in and i appreciated the value of those chips more and i started making big profits again

spacemonkey57
09-15-2004, 04:04 PM
I'm stuck in the middle of one of these right now. I've dropped from the 10s to the 5s and finally a $1 (which I won) on UB yesterday. I've still got the br for the 10s, but I feel like I need to get my confidence back before I go back up there. I'm just trying to play my way through it at the lower levels.

chill888
09-15-2004, 04:25 PM
Nice post.

Personally,

I think anyone with the discipline to drop levels is a stud - because so few are capable of doing this.

I have been winning for 18 months - every month - at S&Gs but I actually play - on average - slightly lower than i used to. WHY?

Cause I do far better on the $50s than the $100s - and i enjoy them more. And I have raised my $100 ROI by being more selective against who I play - among other reasons.

Personally I hate losing even $1 and thus am cautious in playing style and game slection. Reason number 73 why S&Gs are so beatable is that people rush up levels beyond their talent. IMHO.

GL

rachelwxm
09-16-2004, 11:50 AM
I mean if you play 112 tonies, that's 100 set of 13 games, u will on average see one of those 12/13 result. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

chill888
09-16-2004, 11:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I mean if you play 112 tonies, that's 100 set of 13 games, u will on average see one of those 12/13 result. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No I don't think so because your group of 13 tourneys all overlap so you don't have 100 independent events.