PDA

View Full Version : Very tough hand, 14 players left.

Potowame
09-15-2004, 03:19 AM
14 Left in the UB MTT 5.5 buy-in

sry about hand history UB is strange about that.

BB T1200 ante 200

7 Players @ the table

Hero T28000 BB 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
villian T38000 CO (decent player, but bluffs alot)

folded to Villian mini raise to T2400

folded to hero reraise to T9000 (to small?)

Flop

8 /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/club.gifJ /images/graemlins/club.gif

Hero Checks (I was froze, Weak tight Check?)

Co takes about 5 seconds and pushes All-in.

I would either go out or be 2-3 in chips, if I called. I felt there was at least a 30% chance he was bluffing with a AX or flush draw or smaller pair.

flytrap
09-15-2004, 04:26 AM
There's an important concept to take into consideration. If you can't lay down a possible best hand, you can't win at NL. Sure, he might be bluffing, but even if he is, chances are he's drawing very live against you. And if you're behind, you're probably waaayyyy behind. When he called your raise pf, he probably had big cards, and chances are this flop hit him. When you checked on the flop, you basically are giving up on the pot. If you want to play, go all-in instead of checking. That way he may fold a hand that is drawing live against you.

nsj
09-15-2004, 09:05 AM
I'm with Flytrap here -- you had "control" of the hand, but out of position this is not a very good flop. He could have AcXc, he might have caught a J or K, but going to that flop, having raised almost 1/3 of your chip stack and seen the bet called, this is push or check/fold territory.

And since you checked...

Bernas
09-15-2004, 10:06 AM
Did you consider pushing before the flop?
I think if you come back over the top of him like this you are going to have to do it for all of your chips. Make him lay down 2 high cards. Otherwise fold it. Depends what you put him on.

After the flop, you have to lay this down.

Potowame
09-15-2004, 11:28 AM
I did consider a push. I think this was correct here.

Player in question had been trying to steal eveytime folded to him (thats another reason this was a tough call). I had a earlier hand with him that I nearly doubled up on with good post flop play.
so I was trying to do the same here. But #1 pot was to big , #2 vernable hand to that flop.

Also SB had pushed all-in 2 out of three of his mini raises on my BB and he folded each time. So I feel that there was a very good chance that this guy was do this with any two.

Potowame
09-15-2004, 11:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

There's an important concept to take into consideration. If you can't lay down a possible best hand, you can't win at NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, pretty standard for any good NL player.

But, theres two sides to that sword. If you can't make great calls you will never be a Top NL player.

I think this hand early is a quick muck, but the win puts me near chip lead and fold puts me crippled 13/14. 14-8 payout around $25 differance, 14 = $18 8= $43 1st= $800+. I think this is why I really think this hand is a tough call or fold.

SossMan
09-15-2004, 12:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
folded to Villian mini raise to T2400

folded to hero reraise to T9000 (to small?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I would have made a slightly smaller reraise to about t7000-t7500. I think this would have accomplished the same thing preflop, and it should have made the flop a little easier to play. He will still fold the hands preflop that he would have folded to a t9000 bet, and by keeping the pot small, you can make a small bet out on the flop and still get away if he pushes.

Given that flop, I'm probably done with the hand. You still have a decent stack, and if he can bluff all in with a hand that can't beat TT on that flop, then more power to him and next time you'll bust him when the flop is K T x and he does the same thing.

I think that if you are going to call an all in, you should have pushed yourself, but I prefer a check fold on that flop.

fnurt
09-15-2004, 12:04 PM
I think you played it fine. Pushing preflop would have been an absurd overbet.

On a less scary flop, like with one overcard, I hope you would have had the courage to push. On this flop, I think discretion was the better part of valor. Remember, if he doesn't have a piece of the flop, it looks pretty scary to him too.

Potowame
09-15-2004, 01:16 PM
First this players push seemed to make this more of a call than a fold to me. ae Please don't call.

Hero: Folds

Co: Shows hand A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

This made me sick, /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

I went on to finish 10th

BB 2400

Pushed T17500 A /images/graemlins/spade.gifK /images/graemlins/spade.gif utg

JJ called no help.

Potowame
09-15-2004, 01:19 PM
What about a smooth call preflop?

1 over we are going all-in. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Potowame
09-15-2004, 04:15 PM
well Soss I know you don't have a weak-tight bone in your body, so it makes me feel good with my play here.

what about a smooth call preflop?

fnurt
09-15-2004, 04:39 PM
Your hand is better than a smooth call. If you're not going to play back with TT then you're not playing back enough.

fnord_too
09-15-2004, 04:59 PM
I think folding is your only option here. If you would call this bet, you are much better pushing yourself before your opponent has a chance to.

Pushing has some merit instead of checking the flop. You came over the top of him pre-flop, so if you push you would likely move hime off of any hand lower than KQ, and maybe even that. Certainly, you take his chance to bluff away. Also, though your stack is not too low, it is getting near the danger zone.

Check folding is ok, pushing first is possibly better (since he is a decent player and won't likely call with a jack here), check calling is horrid.

SossMan
09-15-2004, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your hand is better than a smooth call. If you're not going to play back with TT then you're not playing back enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

fnurt,
what size reraise do you like preflop?

-sossman

fnurt
09-15-2004, 05:58 PM
I like the actual raise, it's about the size of the pot. Make it bigger and it's going to be very hard to get away from the hand.

SossMan
09-15-2004, 06:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like the actual raise, it's about the size of the pot. Make it bigger and it's going to be very hard to get away from the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about a smaller raise?

fnurt
09-15-2004, 06:59 PM
Seems too easy to call. I mean, I'm not going to say that 9000 was better or worse than 8000, I have no idea really, but a pot-sized raise was somewhere in the right ballpark IMO. He certainly can't expect to get any folds with a minimum raise, for example, nor do I think TT wants to price a lot of junk hands in.

One of my pet peeves is people who reraise all-in from the blinds when it's a massive overbet of the pot. Yes, most often they will win, but it's still a bad play in the long term. That is the mistake I'm glad he avoided.

SossMan
09-15-2004, 07:09 PM
do you think a raise to 7000 makes it easier to play the flop? (not this flop particularly, but an "array" of flops, if you will)

Potowame
09-15-2004, 07:57 PM
This is the biggest problem with my game right now, "blind defense". I think once I get this problem fixed I will improve drastically.

Heres another hand with same player, As I said earlier he was loss, on his raise with my BB, Mainly because I think I play BB to weak tight. He also fired out a pot size bet on every checked flop to him after a raise.

I really don't like my play here. But you guys let me know Crazy, Standard, inventive. what have you.

BB 600 ante 75?

Hero T14000 BB A /images/graemlins/club.gif10 /images/graemlins/club.gif
Folded to
Villian CO T41000 Mini raises T1200

Hero Calls 600 ( play back here?)

pot T3450

Flop

Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Hero checks
Villan bets Pot 3450

Hero Calls 3450 (check raise?, Check Fold)

I called with intention of pushing a none scare card to me.

Pot T10350

Turn 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Hero Goes All-in 9350

Villan Folds

He showed his cards again, he usually did this on most hands K /images/graemlins/spade.gif3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif , It took him a while to fold I think he was wanting to call his flush draw.

I felt lucky, here to get no call. But I really don't know if these are move that alot of people on here a doing or not.

Potowame
09-15-2004, 08:03 PM
If You you think push here, does this really turn this into a 1 card over flop. I mean If I push and as long as he didn't pair the K, or have AA JJ QQ possible call, all other hands fold most of the time?

Makes me think 65% of the time a push will win this pot?

durron597
09-15-2004, 08:49 PM
Against a loose player (i.e. the sort of player who would miniraise with K3s), I reraise big in the BB every time with ATs to that miniraise.

Potowame
09-15-2004, 09:48 PM
Other than the preflop, how was my play here?