View Full Version : Fold an overpair on this flop?

joker122
09-15-2004, 02:05 AM
This from memory, and I have no reads.

Party 5/10 SH

UTG limps, folded to button who raises, SB calls, I call in the BB with black nines, UTG calls.

Flop is 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif 5/images/graemlins/club.gif

Checked to button who bets, SB calls, I raise, UTG calls 2 cold, button 3bets, SB now folds, and the action is on me.

Scotch78
09-15-2004, 02:12 AM
He's representing a big pair, so I guess the question is whether you believe him. Without a read I think most people on here call down, but I fold the turn unimproved, maybe even fold to the flop 3-bet.

Scott

ALL1N
09-15-2004, 04:48 AM
1. He could have high hearts.
2. He could have 77-88.
3. He could be a maniac.

No, don't fold.

TJD
09-15-2004, 05:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
and I have no reads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless the read is "rock" or extremely passive, you still will not know.

Far too many hands out there for him to have. What would you do on button with 88 preflop - raise to make it HU? When you have this overpair and someone CRs you out of the blinds what would you do? (what would you do with A /images/graemlins/heart.gif5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif from the BB? I would CR /images/graemlins/smile.gif) If I were him with 88 I would reraise the flop in case a) I were ahead and b)to have the chance for a free card on the turn (if I decide to take it) in case I am behind.

I will call; lead out on turn and then probably fold to a raise, especially if UTG is still involved.

trevor

Zele
09-15-2004, 10:09 AM
Call and CR the turn, unless something like the A /images/graemlins/heart.gif comes up.

Trix
09-15-2004, 06:05 PM
I would have 3bet preflop(dont know if its correct though). Since you didnīt, I will bet and 3bet if he raises and SB calls. If SB folds, then I CR turn some of the time and 3bet flop the other.

joker122
09-15-2004, 07:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If SB folds, then I CR turn some of the time and 3bet flop the other.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't 3bet the flop, I can only cap.

joker122
09-15-2004, 07:59 PM
I found the HH for this one. I was pretty close but one key detail is that SB calls 2 more on the flop instead of folding, and that the SB was in fact the button, and that the button was the CO...uh, just look at it.

Also, after seeing the handles I remember that UTG was the biggest calling station ever.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8.40 SB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (10.20 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, Button calls, Hero folds, UTG folds.

River: (12.20 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 12.20 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
CO has 7h 7c (one pair, sevens).
Button has 5h 5s (one pair, fives).
Outcome: CO wins 12.20 BB. </font>

It seems from the responses that folding the flop is out of the question, which I agree with. I decided to let go on the turn. Any thoughts?

Guido
09-16-2004, 05:33 AM
I would 3-bet preflop and cap the flop and take it from there.

Guido

Trix
09-16-2004, 08:27 AM
I would have bet it first time I had the chance and then 3bet or call, intending to CR turn, depending how i felt and whether or not SB called if he raised.
Playing it like you did I would just cap the flop. I would probably lay down if raised on the turn, can I do that in 6 max ?