PDA

View Full Version : Bad play or Bad beat ??

FLAsurfer
09-15-2004, 01:57 AM
Playing a multi-table tourney and caught A /images/graemlins/club.gif/K /images/graemlins/spade.gif I bet $100 entire table folds- except one caller. Flop comes 8-4-3 all /images/graemlins/spade.gif, I bet $200 caller calls. Turn comes 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif- I have K high flush, I bet $500, caller raises me to all in- I call the all in- he shows A /images/graemlins/spade.gif/2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, was my play correct? Was he just lucky ? thx for your opinions .FLAsurfer

Richard Tanner
09-15-2004, 02:27 AM
First off, your post is missing a few key elements like stack size and blind level etc. That said I usually chalk these things up to bad timing, If he has the one card in the deck that beats you on that flop with your hand (so on and so forth) it usually isn't ment to be (I happen to believe that your tournement is decided when you sit down due to the cards that seeat will be getting). However depending on your read of that player you could surmise that his call on the flop was because he was chasing the flush, and that he may only make this move chasing the nuts. His reraise is another moment where you revert back to your read and say, "Does he have it or is he just trying to represent it". SO much of this situation is feel

Cody

FLAsurfer
09-15-2004, 02:41 AM
My apologies- It was my third hand(begining of tourney)I was on the small blind(if I can remember correctly bb50/sb25). my stack was 1,550 villains' was 2,900. Thx for for reply .FLA

Richard Tanner
09-15-2004, 02:56 AM
In that case, take out a lighter and burn your cards or (if you prefer less flash) fold them. I am admittedly a very tight player but there are few instances where I can endanger my stack and tourney life on the third hand.
Again, reads, reads, reads, but in the end, it's just too soon for me to go for broke.

Cody

wilkcards
09-15-2004, 02:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My apologies- It was my third hand(begining of tourney)I was on the small blind(if I can remember correctly bb50/sb25). my stack was 1,550 villains' was 2,900. Thx for for reply .FLA

[/ QUOTE ]

Drawing to the second best hand is a very risky play. Three spades on the flop, and you have the K of spades...I wouldn't go any further

Dov
09-15-2004, 03:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
(I happen to believe that your tournement is decided when you sit down due to the cards that seeat will be getting)

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying that you think the entire tournament is shuffled in advance and that your fate in it is determined by your cards?

I hope that you don't really believe that.

Cannes
09-15-2004, 07:09 AM
That would definitely make him a losing player

SixgunSam
09-15-2004, 08:08 AM
Not to hijack the thread, but if cards alone determined your tournament, then we would all be just as well off playing the lottery. Knowing when to raise or fold is much more important than what cards you have.

As far as the original question, if I had more than half of my stack in there and a king high flush, I would put the rest in and pray it was good. I think where you misplayed this hand was preflop with the mini-raise. What did you intend to do with the initial raise? Did you want to limit your field? If so, then a mini-raise is not going to do it. AK is a premium hand, you should make people pay a premium price to play against it -- raise 3x the BB at least. I never understand why people think a mini-raise is a good thing to do. You might as well limp if you're going to put in a raise that small, at least that way you can easily get away from the hand if you miss your flop. I probably would have bet that flop, but when he called I would have slowed down. I might even check the turn and see what he does. Even when you hit that flush on the turn, you should probably wonder why he had called on the flop. Either he has a set, a pocket pair, has made the flush or he is playing some crappy hand like A8, which very well could include the ace of spades. That's the thing, a mini-raise didn't make it hard to call with a hand like A8 or 33 and now that guy who you let in cheaply has position on you. Your play after the flop seems reasonable, but the only aspect where I thought you messed up was preflop. Either raise more or limp.