PDA

View Full Version : "You overplayed your hand"

kyro
09-15-2004, 01:27 AM
I talk at the tables. Waaaay too much. But I'm a sociable person and I don't play poker to make a lot of money. If I was strictly break-even each and every day, that would be good enough for me. On to the hand. (I apologize for it not being pretty, I haven't gotten the HH yet.)

Party 25NL.
Hero ~ $70
MP ~ $101.8
CO ~ $23.6

Dealt AsAh. UTG limps, MP raises to $1, folded to CO who raises to $1.5. I make it $6. Only MP and CO call.

Pot ~ $18.00

Flop: Ac Jc 2c

I bet $20. Big stack MP folds, CO calls all-in.

After the hand, poker coach who called most of his stack on a gutshot draw earlier tonight tells me I overplayed my hand. I disagree, but I've been wrong before. Commentado!

Daxonovitch
09-15-2004, 01:39 AM
You bet the pot with a probable flush draw. While you certainly make it difficult to get away from the hand with that much money in the pot if the other big stack raises you all in, if you can (get away from it) it is the correct play to chase out the one-card flush draws.

Besides, you busted the small stack. What else did you want?

DBowling
09-15-2004, 04:34 AM
I think you played it perfectly. You bet slightly more than the pot, nothing wrong with that, you dont want to give free cards.
Just a question, if someone pushes, do you call or fold? Im guessing call, as the pot's offering you about 4 to 1 to put the rest of your chips in.

hectorjelly
09-15-2004, 09:24 AM
You played it perfectly, I would but 3/4 of the pot but that is personal style. You have to call a reraise unless its against a very solid player and you are getting worse than 3 - 1 on your call. You will win a third of the time against a made flush, and will often be reraised here with the nut flush draw, in which case you will win about 3/4 of the time.

kyro
09-15-2004, 12:27 PM
Big stack in MP folded. Small stack called all-in. He had KTc, and I didn't fill up.

The big stack was the only one I was concerned about, as I was willing to risk 1/3 of my stack with the small stack on the fact he didn't have the flush. The thing with big stack is, he was awful. He was only up around 30 for the night as I'm pretty sure he had to buy in at least once, perhaps twice. He got about $40 bucks in one hand, AA v. KK, but really recklessly the whole way. Here was the way I saw it.

The only way I'm behind, is the off-chance they flopped flush. If big stack pushes, well, I guess the chance he DID flop the flush probably goes up, but like I said, he was bad enough that I could see him pushing with Kcx. And if he DOES have the flush, then I have 7 outs on the turn and 10 outs on the river, making this an instacall, even for the rest of my stack.

I do have a problem talking at tables, and I got into an argument with this guy. I felt better about my opinion later though, when he reraised for all his chips PF, which was about $40 or so, and then turned up 44. Caller of all-in shows AQ, and hits a Q. Table coach justifies his move by saying "I was ahead, he got lucky." When I asked him, "well what if he had a pocket pair?" His response. "He didn't."

Guess I wasn't the only one who overplayed his hand last night.