PDA

View Full Version : 99 with a semi-short stack....ugh, help me out here

kpux
09-14-2004, 11:59 PM
Party 30/3, 6-handed. I have about t600 and villain has me covered, but not by a lot. Blinds are 15/30. I have 99 in the BB.

Villain is UTG and triples the blind. It gets folded to me. What do I do here? This guys seems like a competetant player, I don't think he would raise UTG with trash, especially as a short stack. It seems to me that when he raises that little preflop he definitely wants action.

But here's my dilema. If I push all in, I don't think he'll call me with a worse hand that often. If I just call preflop and don't flop a set, he'll be able to bully me off my hand even if I'm ahead, since I'm out of position and fear about half the deck from flopping. I don't see any point to reraise just a little, I don't have enough chips for that.

Am I resigned to just call and hope to flop a set/undercards?

Results later...

ChrisV
09-16-2004, 03:45 AM
This is a situation where you must trust your postflop play. That raise from the villain looks like a standard raise to me. Call and decide what to do on the flop.

Often if you check to him on the flop, the size of the bet will give away his holding and you can decide whether to fold or check-raise allin. You will be folding quite a bit, though, as the pot isn't that big.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I think moving allin is absolutely terrible. You'll pick up the 120 chips sometimes, but whenever you're called you have a very good chance of getting busted. I'd rather fold.

stripsqueez
09-16-2004, 04:09 AM
take your pick from fold or call and check/fold the flop unless the flop looks good - this early i usually like fold

raising or pushing are bad options - why risk all for the sake of T135 ? - you need T8000 to win

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

eastbay
09-16-2004, 04:23 AM
I wouldn't put this guy on a monster by any means.

I probably call and bet at the flop no matter what comes. If you do flop a set or undercards, then you can start your scheming for busting him.

If your flop bet gets raised or smooth-called, watch out.

eastbay