PDA

View Full Version : Al Krux's "friends"

Dynasty
09-14-2004, 10:18 PM
I'm surprised ESPN is showing that big group cheering for Al Krux.

This is from Andy Glazer's Cardplayer article (http://www.cardplayer.com/world_series_of_poker/world_series_poker_results.php?PHPSESSID=67cd4c0be 391475d401f1af764e9cc13)

[ QUOTE ]
Why mention Krux's "friends"? It's because he also had true friends in attendance. Krux didn't win this tournament, and the moment he was eliminated, his identically clad "close friends" stripped their identical shirts off simultaneously, right at the edge of the spectator area. One had a T-shirt on underneath, while another simply stripped to the skin. I was happy to have seen Krux's son (wearing much more normal attire) cheering for him earlier in the day, but this group was obviously a bunch of hired hands who didn't even have the common sense to wait to change clothing until they left. (Security encouraged the partially clad gents to leave immediately).

ESPN has had a somewhat controversial "dress code" that gave ESPN the right to refuse to allow players to wear logos at final tables. ESPN had paid the rights fee and didn't want the whole thing to turn into a banner-wearing zoo. This attempted "end run" by spectators gives ESPN's position a little more of the high ground. Whether Krux was involved at all, I don't know, and I'm not even sure how relevant it is. Any Internet cardroom could have hired folks to come in and scream like maniacs for one player. It's more effective that way than spacing them evenly through the crowd.

When your true purpose is to cheer for someone, you don't strip off your shirt the moment he gets knocked out of the tournament. It was all a very shoddy attempt to gain attention.

[/ QUOTE ]

Daliman
09-14-2004, 10:25 PM
I was keeping this in mind too as I watched, yet in his vignette, i saw three of the same guys who were cheering at the end. /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif