PDA

View Full Version : An interesting one - AKo

joker122
09-14-2004, 09:03 PM
Opponent is unknown. I'll let the flop speak for itself. On the turn I was ready to give up. I don't know why I CRed the river...I was just pretty sure he had a weaker ace or he was going to try to bluff at it.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.20 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

River: (7.20 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 11.20 BB

joker122
09-15-2004, 12:31 AM

Dov
09-15-2004, 03:12 AM
Why couldn't CO have had a medium big pair like TT-KK?

He sure played it like that.

I would say he had KK or QQ. Did you see his hand?

joker122
09-15-2004, 03:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why couldn't CO have had a medium big pair like TT-KK?

[/ QUOTE ]

[nervous, awkard laughter] he could have...

Nate tha' Great
09-15-2004, 03:46 AM
Weirdness. He seems to be representing a medium-high pocket pair with his flop action, then stops in his tracks on the turn when a complete blank falls.

'Represent' is the key word, however. He knows damned well that *your* hand does not contain a 9 (his hand *could* plausibly contain a 9, since it takes a better hand to 3-bet than to open-raise), and he might be trying to bully you, using his position to his advantage.

The decision you need to make right away is whether you want to see a showdown ... I think I probably *do*, in part because I'm almost certain to have six clean outs if behind and in part because I might be ahead anyway. And I want to be able see it cheaply so I think I'd just check-call down the whole way once he raises the flop; if he takes a free card on the turn that isn't a huge worry since he's probably drawing to three outs if behind. Yeah I know that sounds lame, but ... I think you're going to show down the best hand here at least 40 percent of the time and possibly more so I don't think I can fold ... I also think that you're getting progressively *less* bang for your buck on every bet that does go in ... and furthermore I think that you don't want to do anything to deter him from bluffing at the pot if he has a hand like AJ that is way behind. All of that points toward this being one of those times that it's okay to be a calling station.

The way the hand went down, I actually like the check-raise on the river, and have been making that play more frequently in situations in which my opponent checks behind on the turn; he will represent the A nearly 100% of the time and will usually call a raise those times that he was planning on calling if you had bet into him.

Zele
09-15-2004, 10:13 AM
I would have played it the same way.

spider
09-15-2004, 11:51 AM
I really agree with Nate's post here, but will mention a couple things.

I don't think folding is remotely an option on any street here. Borrowing from SSHE's part about paired flops, the odds of this flop helping your opponent are pretty slim, although he could have a pocket pair, of course.

So, I think you are probably ahead on the flop. At the same time, if he is ahead, he's going to either cap the flop or raise you on the turn, so I think calling it down after the flop raise is correct.

I wouldn't have thought to try the check-raise, but it looks like the right play.

joker122
09-15-2004, 02:12 PM
Awesome, thanks alot.

He had AdTd and MHWG.