PDA

View Full Version : J9s on the button - too passive?

BreakEven
09-14-2004, 09:02 PM
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (3 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, MP1 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Hero calls.

River: (6 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9 BB

cab4656
09-14-2004, 11:27 PM
When everyone checks to me, I bet this flop. It'll clean up your overcard outs, and possibly allow you to take a free card on the turn if you so desire.

Since you didn't, I think you should raise the turn. SB could have anything, but you have top pair with a decent kicker.

sluttysteve
09-14-2004, 11:33 PM
I'd raise the turn.

jeffraider
09-14-2004, 11:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When everyone checks to me, I bet this flop. It'll clean up your overcard outs, and possibly allow you to take a free card on the turn if you so desire.

Since you didn't, I think you should raise the turn. SB could have anything, but you have top pair with a decent kicker.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean by cleaning up the over card outs? Excuse my ignorance, it's something I haven't quite worked out yet as to what it means.

Thanks!

sluttysteve
09-14-2004, 11:50 PM
Here, it means when you get someone who's already hit the flop for one pair, and holds another one of your overcards that you're trying to hit. Here, for example, if one person has J4, he has you reverse dominated, any J gives him two pair. But if you bet, he might fold his J4 making your J clean.

jeffraider
09-15-2004, 01:40 AM
Ah, gotcha, thanks very much!

umaga
09-15-2004, 04:31 AM
I would raise the turn also. Flop got checked through, so bettor could have 4,5, straight draw, overcards, etc, or nothing. Other player called, didn't raise, so I'm not worried about them.

BreakEven
09-15-2004, 08:34 AM
CO had 107o
UTG had Q9s
UTG wins with Q kicker

Although I lost to a better kicker, I agree with everyone that I played this had too passively. Thanks.

kiemo
09-15-2004, 02:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
CO had 107o
UTG had Q9s
UTG wins with Q kicker

Although I lost to a better kicker, I agree with everyone that I played this had too passively. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would write a email to Party and tell them you lost a showdown pot to a guy who mucked preflop.

BreakEven
09-15-2004, 05:18 PM
Woops: MP3 had 107o and SB had Q9s.

Bigdaddydvo
09-15-2004, 06:04 PM
betting the flop here is pointless. a reflexive "no one else bet the flop so since I'm on the button I have to" bet is bad, predictable poker. I say you drive out maybe a 2-7o in the blind at best. I depend on that reflexive last bet when I'm sitting in the blind w/a weak 2 pair and I want to drive out the rest of the field w/a checkraise. take your free turn card.

and yes, since no one has showed any type of strength yet, please raise the turn w/your top pair.