PDA

View Full Version : Poker : The Real Deal by Phil Gordon

Mano
09-14-2004, 08:01 PM
Has anyone read this book? Any info on subjects covered and how good it is? Thanks.

Easy E
09-14-2004, 08:14 PM
that our favorite whining PokerBrat has released?

ye gods!

Mano
09-14-2004, 08:35 PM
I know nothing about the author, or the book, but saw a thread on another forum where someone was talking the book up, and thought I would get some informed opinions before seeking it out.

dragon14
09-14-2004, 08:56 PM
Phil Gordon is the nice guy Internet millionaire who is seen on Celebrity Poker on Bravo. Phil Hellmuth is the poker brat.

Easy E
09-15-2004, 12:57 AM
Thanks for clearing that up for me!

ohgeetee
09-15-2004, 09:23 AM
Every time I read a post where these people miss the most over the top Airplane-esque sarcasm, it really makes me wonder how good of poker players the people who frequent these forums really are.

Easy E
09-15-2004, 11:27 AM
the posters misinterpreted my post, not missed any sarcasm (which didn't appear until my last post by the way). So, you can't judge them yet.

I agree with your point in general... but don't waste my effort by revealing the trick TOO early. Wait to see who it reels in first, then zing 'em

I expect better from an Addict. /images/graemlins/mad.gif If you want later memebership into the higher echelons, you need to get with the program

submariner
09-15-2004, 02:06 PM
Part of the problem (at least for me) is when posters put part of the message in the subject line. I rarely read the subject lines except for the original post.

dragon14
09-15-2004, 07:44 PM
Presumably people miss this brillant ironic humor for the following three reasons.

1. Maybe 1 in 100 people know who Phil Hellmuth is.
2. Maybe 1 in 200 people know who Phil Gordon is.
3. Maybe 1 in 500 people know Phil Hellmuth's nickname.

It reminds of posters on a Kansas Jayhawk basketball message board who used to joke about the athletic scholarship donor fund (The Williams Fund) being named for former basketball coach Roy Williams. In fact, this is what 99 out of 100 people believe. When another poster would reveal that in fact it's not named for Roy Williams the original poster would brillantly retort something to the effect that "well everyone knows that." In fact hardly anyone knew that and the person that replied was unlucky enough to run into the 1 in 10000 who both knew this fact and would joke around about it.

If on the WPT Mike Sexton referred to Phil Gordon as the poker brat you can be rest assured that the majority of the viewership is not going to be ROTFL.

The correlation between ability to decipher humor on poker websites and poker talent has been well established in numerous academic journals, so you be certain I cold-call raises in holdem with the 78 suited in early position.

I'm sorry I'm not one of the 30 people in the entire country who would understand this over-the-top humor.

Here's a great joke for you ohgeetee, Noel Gallagher is my favorite singer. I hope you enjoyed it.

Easy E
09-16-2004, 11:04 AM
...since, when you view the post, the title is almost on top of the sentence in the text portion. or do you usually view opening sentence fragments and just decide that the poster has a written communication problem?

Doesn't the change in subject jump out at you?

I personally put part of the sentence in the subject line to give people an indicator what my reply is about, thus allowing them to filter messages that they don't want to read. There's so many posts now, hopefully it helps save a LITTLE time.

Easy E
09-16-2004, 11:12 AM
"Presumably people miss this brillant ironic humor"
thank you, thank you ( nice line!) /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

"the original poster would brillantly retort something to the effect that "well everyone knows that." In fact hardly anyone knew that and the person that replied was unlucky enough to run into the 1 in 10000 who both knew this fact and would joke around about it."

Agreed, but two things:
1) Why do you assume that someone with a strange reply DOESN'T know what they are posting about? Can I get a LITTLE credit after several thousand posts?
Granted, I hijacked the thread, but it resulted when I went looking on Conjelco for the Phil Gordon (one of the original "Tiltboys" for your edification- search google if you care) book that the original poster mentioned.

2) Inside "jokes" (funny or not) are not allowed? Membership/knowledge has NO privileges?

"If on the WPT Mike Sexton referred to Phil Gordon as the poker brat you can be rest assured that the majority of the viewership is not going to be ROTFL. "

So? You're on here because you DON'T want to be in the uninformed majority, right?

"The correlation between ability to decipher humor on poker websites and poker talent has been well established in numerous academic journals, so you be certain I cold-call raises in holdem with the 78 suited in early position. "

(I liked this one a lot- very dry)

"I'm sorry I'm not one of the 30 people in the entire country who would understand this over-the-top humor."

Just make sure you don't let it happen again, rookie. And it wasn't a joke anyway, it was a reference to another Phil that was an author. (but I know this wasn't directed at me... ?)

Easy E
09-16-2004, 11:13 AM
I didn't know about the book, saw Phil Hellmouth's vast library when I searched conjelco for Phil G's book.

maurile
09-16-2004, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't the change in subject jump out at you?

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope. I pretty much never notice it.

submariner
09-16-2004, 05:38 PM
said.

submariner
09-16-2004, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
or do you usually view opening sentence fragments and just decide that the poster has a written communication problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's usually what happens. Or else I get halfway thru the post and it still dosesn't make sense and I have to go back and figure out what's missing.

Ed Miller
09-16-2004, 05:49 PM
While I haven't read it, I have seen a copy of the book and have skimmed it a little bit. It appears to be squarely aimed at CASUAL poker players. It also appears to plug 2+2 material. That's about all I can tell you given my limited perusal.

Howard Burroughs
09-16-2004, 06:31 PM
I've read the book and I think Ed summed it up perfect......

"squarely aimed at CASUAL poker players."

I think the casual player will enjoy the book.

Best

Howard

dragon14
09-16-2004, 08:05 PM
Fair enough, Easy E. At any rate I hope the original poster gets a few responses to his actual question.

Nottom
09-17-2004, 02:38 PM
[quoteI personally put part of the sentence in the subject line to give people an indicator what my reply is about, thus allowing them to filter messages that they don't want to read. There's so many posts now, hopefully it helps save a LITTLE time.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is fine except that a lot of people have the view set to Flat mode and don't pay any attention to the subject line.

B00T
09-17-2004, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

This is fine except that a lot of people have the view set to Flat mode and don't pay any attention to the subject line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the problem here. Easy E is assuming people are clicking on subjects to read the post, when I would think most of us are just scrolling down the thread just reading the bodies of the message.

Easy E
09-17-2004, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the problem here. Easy E is assuming people are clicking on subjects to read the post, when I would think most of us are just scrolling down the thread just reading the bodies of the message.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and no. Yes, I do it as a feature in Threaded (Flat is hard to follow the flow a bit)

but no- the title is in bold and it jumps out at me, personally, especially if it's changed from the original- or the opening sentence is a fragment, prompting me to look for more information.

...but since I'm the one DOING it, I'm biased from "normal" behaviour perhaps. I'll keep that in mind, but won't promise anything