PDA

View Full Version : blind steal gone wrong.. on to post flop

greg nice
09-14-2004, 07:31 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed)

BB (t800)
UTG (t800)
UTG+1 (t800)
UTG+2 (t800)
MP1 (t800)
MP2 (t800)
MP3 (t785)
Hero (t800)
Button (t785)
SB (t830)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t60</font>, Button calls t60, SB calls t50, BB folds.

Flop: (t195) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: (t195) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets t100</font>, Button folds, SB calls t100.

River: (t395) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets t400</font>..

Final Pot: t795

Sam T.
09-14-2004, 07:58 PM
Why, exactly, do you want to steal the blinds at this point? It's t25 for crying out loud! I start thinking about it at 25/50, and really get interested at 50/100.

If you're going to play this hand, limp pre-flop. You WANT everyone else to come along. Then, when you flop a monster, and a couple of other guys make top pair, two pair, or a set, you can really get paid off.

If you are bound and determined to play this hand, Aleo Magus is of the opinion that (if you have the stack to support it) you should bet your drawing hands. I don't remember if he explains why in his guide, but as I see it there are a couple of reasons:

1) You might take down the pot on the spot. Remember that you are a 2:1 dog to make your flush, so if you win now, you are doing it with a hand that will probably be a loser if all the cards come out. Folding equity makes flush draws profitable.

2) It disguises your hand. A bet here says, "I've got a Jack!" If someone decides to hang around with KQ, and the K /images/graemlins/heart.gif falls, you can bust him. If you play limply until the third heart hits and then start betting, everyone and their mom will know what just happened.

Just my two cents.

greg nice
09-14-2004, 08:19 PM
youre right. the blind steal idea was terrible. however im experimenting (cheaply) at times so i can further my aggression.

i didnt bet the flop because i didnt want to lose any more money on a badly played hand to start with. but then on the turn i have a flush and straight draw, so i bet it.

Jason Strasser
09-14-2004, 09:30 PM
This hand was, to say it lightly, butchered on every street.

Preflop. Why are you raising? Before you raise, you should be able to answer the simple question: "Why are you raising?" I personally like a mini-raise with 32o UTG with 7xBB, because at least then you could say "I raised because I wanted to represent a big hand and steal the blinds." (Note: I am not endorsing that play)

There is really no explanation for why you decided to raise preflop. To steal the blinds? Nope. To build a pot? Why?

Ok, so now you raise preflop, and you flop, what I'd say, is a monster for A6s. The nut flush draw, an over card, runner-runner straight draw. And now, you decide to check? On the flop, you are likely even at worst with any other hands out there. There is t200 in the pot, pick it up. Why are you checking? Aiya.

On the turn... Well mini-betting the turn makes no sense. If you check the flop, check the turn. Betting with a flush draw on the flop has a lot more value then betting with a flush draw on the turn. I personally like to bet flops with a flush draw and try to take a card off the top on the turn. It's the cheapest way to get to showdown usually.

The river is o.k. I guess. I would rate it a 4/10 on the bluff scale. You played this hand so damn weirdly that any thinking player might decide to give you credit for a hand.

My advice to you is to think. That is all.
-Jason