PDA

View Full Version : Is there something I dont understand?

stupidsucker
09-14-2004, 04:28 PM
A friend of mine called me in a frantic tone at 1:30 AM. His internet went out while playing 3 $200+15 tables. He begged me to please log on and play them as I saw fit.

That part isnt all that important. Here I am throw into this, and I have never played at this level. I decide to play my normal game for the most part. NO pressure right? Its not my money, and Without me its already lost money.

I saw some play that I found to be absolutly disgusting. Ridiculous calls and crap comming from players at this level surprised me.

Blinds 25-50 folded around to me on the button. I have QJs so I throw in a 3x BB bet.(I admit this wasnt perfect, but I hadnt done anything to this point, and honestly thought I could take done the blinds) BB calls me.

Flop is AJ4. BB checks and I throw out a bet just a tad under the pot.

Turn is another Ace. BB checks pot is 700ish. I think for a moment and push the remaining chips I have left.(700ish) BB hesitates and calls.

He turns over 45o...

Am I crazy? or is this play I expect some of the bad players to even muck at the 10+1 level??? My only thought is that he has notes in my friend that says "idiot bluffer".

Now my play... looking back wasnt so great at all. I normaly dont play QJs at all in this early. Betting all in on the turn was a mistake because I will probably only get a call if I am beaten already, but I didnt want to give free cards to a possible flush draw or inside str8 draw.

Is there something trixy about this high of level that I am missing? or did my opponent make a horrible preflop flop and turn call?

rybones
09-14-2004, 04:35 PM
I can't answer a single one of you questions, but I am playing a 300 table tonight /images/graemlins/wink.gif

ryan

p.s. what it your friends screen name and is he an idiot bluffer? Also what was the sceen name of the 45o caller? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

stupidsucker
09-14-2004, 04:39 PM
I dont think I have the authority to reveal his screen name, but Ive played with him and dont think he is an idiot bluffer. I did however beg him to get off the 200 tables because he is not properly bankrolled for it.

The caller was something like royboy64 or something like that.

chill888
09-14-2004, 04:56 PM
At higher levels players are on average better - no doubt. But you can sometimes find people on tilt that are playing well above their heads. Maybe they have lost a few $50s and are trying to win it back or just lost a big pot in a cash game or whatever.

At Stars often on the weekends the highest game that is regularly going can occassionally attract some real lightweights on tilt. Although at other times it can be a table full of very good players.

I usually play $50 or a $100. But i follow really bad players. Often this leads to following them to a higher limit. I'll happily play at a table with 3 world champions if the other 5 or 6 are absolute chimps. And I am CLEARLY no world champion.

Game selection gets more and more important the higher up you go - but no-one ever said you have to be good to play high - or that if you are playing higher limits you are any good.

rybones
09-14-2004, 05:02 PM
thanks for the robroy tip, but there is no way I can afford the 300s. my ps was just a jest. I hope I did not offend.

ryan

stupidsucker
09-14-2004, 05:25 PM
no offense taken at all.

Just for fun, since I cant hold it back...

He hit the 2outer 4 on the river and took down the pot. He had me covered by 200 chips.

hansarnic
09-14-2004, 06:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I saw some play that I found to be absolutly disgusting. Ridiculous calls and crap comming from players at this level surprised me.

Am I crazy? or is this play I expect some of the bad players to even muck at the 10+1 level???

[/ QUOTE ]

I play 200s and 100s. You still see plays that make your eyes water, just less frequently than at lower limits.

I was in a 200 on 650 chips with blinds at 100/200 and the two big stacks went to war out of the blinds. It all went in on the turn and the caller had.... A high.

Bettor had absolutely nothing. No draw, no hand.

I've also played a lot of 5/10 NL and some 10/20 cash and on occasions saw play that would be rightly derided at micro-limits.

There are bad players at every level.