PDA

View Full Version : Dan Krier - Russ Bailey Guide to limit HE - help me review!

dogmeat
09-14-2004, 04:25 PM
Dan Krier, a poker-playing writer attending USC's School of Cinema-Television and working on his Master's Degree, met a man named Russ Bailey last year and over a period of seven months took down his life-history of poker knowledge. Dan was kind enough to send me a free copy of his book.

(Could somebody that knows how please link this to the "General" forum, it is too good not to share there?)

The book is 8x11 pages, folded-over to provide 100 pages. In the text, Dan states: "Yeah, I'm a writer. Probably the only thing I'm good at."

Dan is not an editor, nor was one used before production of the book. If you don't mind the problems that are inherent to books written without an editor, you will read the following strategies and Life Lessons from Russ Bailey:

"Never Raise before the Flop" - Why? Because "It's no secret that the ultimate goal of poker is deception"

"Take it to the Flop" If you flop a gutshot draw and call to the turn, but don't hit it, if there is a bet on the turn "you should always fold in this case".

The ranking of pocket cards includes high-rank which includes AA,KK on down to offsuit kj, kt and qt, but not JJ, "because a queen,king or ace could appear on the board and ruin your hand. Of course you should call before the flop with a pocket pair most of the time, (but) it all depends on how you're feeling at that particular time."

And my favorite: "The strongest mid-rank pocket cards involve anthing containing an ace or a king. Even K-2 offsuit is worth calling most of the time.

Suited cards: "Even 3-2 same suit should be called most of the time."

Strategy #52 - Do not check-raise after the River

Strategy #53 Use "Slow Play" as your game's backbone"

Strategy #56 Calling other people's bluffs - "this strategy is not of much consequence in the winning poker player's repertoire, since calling possible bluffs is akin to a gamble."

There is so much more in this book to share, but I will give you all one final note from section 7b, catching top pair on the turn;

"So let's say you have been dealt QJ and the flop comes 9-2-3, the turn card falls as a queen. you now have top pair. Since it would be obvious that you are holding a queen here, you should slow play and check to the river".

Please share your comments in this thread. My own comments?

Please God, let everybody in the world buy this book and start playing against me!

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

maurile
09-14-2004, 04:58 PM
Sounds like a candidate for Worst Poker Book Ever Written.

fyodor
09-14-2004, 05:43 PM
It is always a good idea when taking down someone's "life-history of poker knowledge" that you choose a winning player. Otherwise you may just be wasting your time.

That is unless your goal is comedey.

Beavis68
09-14-2004, 05:51 PM
This book is a must read for anyone I play with - no actually, it would still improve their game. "What, I can play K-2 but not Q-2 or J-4? Damn this book is TIGHT"

MaxPower
09-14-2004, 06:42 PM
Wow.

Just Wow.

Did I say Wow?

I think this book might actually be helpful to help understand the mindset of player's like this.

One more thing... Wow.

nolanfan34
09-14-2004, 06:48 PM
The only book better than that may be this one. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0967531101/qid%3D1095202048/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/104-7718138-5863938)

moondogg
09-14-2004, 08:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The only book better than that may be this one. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0967531101/qid%3D1095202048/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/104-7718138-5863938)

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
My name is Bob Turgeon. I was born in Auburn, Maine in 1934 to Canadian immigrant parents.

[/ QUOTE ]
"Canadian immigrant?"
Gosh, that must had been a long, toilsome venture from the homeland. It's good to see immigrants can come to the US, learn the language, and make something ooot of themselves.