PDA

View Full Version : Im done with 10$ sit-n-gos

C.Hatfield
09-14-2004, 04:24 PM
Sorry for my first here being a rant, but i have to release this somewhere. And since ive found this great site it seems like as good a place as any.

I've been playing poker off and on for about four years and playing over at pp every day for about the past 9 months. (i love my job)Right now im playing in about 8 10$ sng and about 2 hours of 100 nl a day. My bankroll(if you can call it that) is up to a couple of gand. Most of my winnings have come from the 100nl ring games. And a couple of B&M games over at Phili, ms (3/6). But i have a bad tendancy in nl to sit there for a couple of hours winning two to three hundreed bucks, then dropping 200$ on one hand. Ive been out flushed three times this week alone for big hits. Each time only three suits on the board and i was holdeing at least queen high on each. So because of this i like the tournys as there isnt as much risk of loosing alot due to one bad play or beat.

Recently ive been dabling in the 20$ and 30$ sngs. Ive placed in some but not as much as with the 10$. But i love the level of play of the 20$ over the 10$.
After this last tourny i think i am officially done with the 10$.
here is the rundown

i was delt A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifK /images/graemlins/spade.gif on the button, blinds are 25/50 and i have around 900 in chips

Dummy1(775): was in Big blind
three limpers
and i raise to 200

all fold excpet dummy1(775) and small blind dummy2(1005)
FLOP: A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

both check and i rasie 200
both call

Turn: 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
both check and i move in for 500
both call

River: 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Dummy2 turns over the k /images/graemlins/heart.gif 10 /images/graemlins/club.gif
Dumm1: tunrs over 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Dont really have a question here just wanted to release, i know sometimes theres just not much you can do, but make a note and hope to see them again sometime. I dont think i could have played it much more aggresive than i did.

O well, time to move on up

One quick Q: Do you guys see any huge difference in the 20 nl and 30 nl sng tournys?

gronmo
09-14-2004, 09:51 PM
Well you could have played it a bit differently and still be aggressive. At the 25/50 level there usually are several players still left in the game that are quite loose. When you raise on the button people can often call with lesser hands than they normally would thinking they are pretty even with you, since many have lower rasing requirements in late position.

The main problem for me seems to be the amount you raise and the amount you have to put in after the flop in order to still seem like you are strong. Raising 100 before the flop would have caused all of them to call so that usually isn't very helpful. Raising 150 would probably been my choice. Your hand isn't suited and you most likely have to hit your hand or be able to put in a pot size bet after the flop if you miss your hand. If you had AKs you can often take a free card after the flop to see if you hit either an A,K or some kind of flush/straight draw.

After the flop you have gotten yourself into a bit of trouble. A 200 raise then a 200 bet into a 750 (if I calculated correctly) pot seems extremely weak. It can cause your opponents to draw some dangerous conclusions;

you probably had a pocket pair that is lower than aces and has no heart
--> any ace that I hold can win the hand, any heart that I hold can win the hand

Now dummy1 probably thinks his heart is good and also might think his long shot straight draw can win the hand

dummy2 probably thinks your weak 200 bet indicates you did not hit trips and that his nut flush draw is most likely to win the hand if another heart comes on the later rounds. He might also consider the possibility that you had something like QdQh of which he would still win if a heart or a king came.

If you raise 200 before flop and then bet 200 afterwards;
200 bet into a 750 pot = a bet of 26.7% of the pot size

If you raised 150 before the flop (with same action taken by other players) then bet another 300~ afterwards
300 bet into a 600 pot = a bet of 50% the pot size.

In both examples you put about the same amount of chips into the pot but you give off a much stronger impression in the second example. A 300 bet after the flop can cause players with smaller hearts to lay down their hands and thus increase your chance of winning the pot.

stupidsucker
09-15-2004, 07:23 AM
Preflop was a good play., It wasnt textbook on the flop at all.

But thats not the important part. You see the skill level at 10-30 isnt all that far off. Where is your bankroll. That is what is important. If you dont have at least $900 bucks WITH a winning record at the 10s after at least 300-500 SnGs then you cant even be guaronteed you are a winning player yourself. ESpecialy if you dont have that 900 bucks.

Ive suffered worse beats then this at the 30, 50 and even 200 level. If you cant handle it at the 10s then you better stay there until you can. It can and will happen.

I know all this because I am guilty of being angry about it as well.

krille
09-15-2004, 07:58 AM
I recently moved up to the $20 SNGs and the play is not much different. My ITM was over 50% at the $10 level, I have now played 14 $20 SNGs and have placed ITM in 12 of them. If you win at the $10 level you will surely win at the $20 level /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Vuron00
09-15-2004, 09:20 AM
Its good that you feel that you can move up, but don't expect all the bad beats and bad play to mysteriously disappear.

Take a look at my posting about the $50+5 that I was in last night and keep an eye on Madibritt.

Link to Post (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1024967&page=2&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1#1024967)

NotMitch
09-15-2004, 09:39 AM
I hate it when people play so bad that I cant win. Thats why I only play the 25/50 NL at UB now.