PDA

View Full Version : Opinions needed on structure

SteveTheTaxMan
09-14-2004, 01:08 PM
I'm a new poster, so please be patient as this is a multi-part question.

Here's the set-up, but keep in mind that the first round is done, and the final table is going to meet this Friday:

We are holding a 6-table tournament. Since we don't have the room for all of the people at once, we are holding the first round over the course of 2 evenings with the final table to be held the following week. Each of the first 2 nights, we are playing down to 5 people and they take their exact chip count to the final table. Sounds simple enough, but here's the problem:

The first night we got down from 22 to 5 people in about 3 hours and the blinds stopped at 200/400. The second night took much longer. We played with 6 trying to get one person to bust for 2 hours. The blinds got to 300/600. Everyone at the table thought that it was unfair that the blinds were so high when they had stopped at 200/400 the previous night. They stayed at 300/600 for about two hours.

My question is this:

1. Should the blinds have been stopped at the previous night's highest level, or should they have continued to increase every 30 minutes, as set forth in the rules?

2. If we do keep increasing them every 30 minutes, does it give people on one night or the other an advantage over the players from the other night?

The reason that, looking back, I lean towards continuing to increase them is that if the 2nd night had happened first, we wouldn't have know any different, and we would have kept increasing them. I think the fact that we knew what the other night got to, impaired our judgement.

Any thoughts?

Thanks guys.

-Tax Man

JayKon
09-14-2004, 01:22 PM
Have the players that stopped at 200/400 come in a little early and have them play until their time equals the time for the other table.

If anyone objects, ask them if they have a better solution.

Bernas
09-14-2004, 01:34 PM
You could have a 2 part tourney. Where top 5 from each day move on. Then play the final table as if it is a brand new tourney. ie. Everyone gets the same size stacks and start off the blinds from the start again.

dabluebery
09-14-2004, 07:01 PM
Steve's posting about this tournament compliments the advice you gave me last week about the blinds structures for the same event. (We're friends, and ran the tournament.)

Basically, we wanted to host the tourney on one night, but couldn't due to space limitations. By holding it on two separate nights, it went REALLY well, except for the problem Steve described.

On Friday night, we had a few really good players, and mostly horrible players. The good players ran through the weak field like crazy, and the final 5 were all regulars that I play with all the time, myself included.

Saturday night went extremely slow, because all of the "sharks" basically played Friday night, but there weren't any horrible players in the draw of 24 people. It was an average field, and the final table was like a ping-pong table, with all-in's and chips bouncing from player to player due to generally good play. Nothing we could really do about that.