PDA

View Full Version : Tech questions re disconnects

benfranklin
09-14-2004, 12:53 PM
I play at Party, both from my office using Qwest DSL and from home using dial-up from my small local telephone company. I use the same ISP for both services.

I rarely get disconnected at the office. Every once in a while, I get disconnected at home, and when it happens, it will happen again and again over about a half an hour. The Party screen says something like: Internet delays, reestablishing connection. When it happens at home, my computer usually shows no interruption of the dial-up link to my ISP.

Given all that, is there any way to tell what causes these disconnects: Party, my phone company, or my ISP? Is this kind of disconnect likely to be happening at Party's end rather than my end? I am considering a computer upgrade for various reasons, and considering DSL at home, particularly if it can eliminate problems like this. Thanks for any help.

MisterNatural
10-01-2004, 05:33 AM
Try playing at different sites and see if you have the same amount of disconnects. I get disconnected from party so often that I'm taking a break from there. I'm sick of flopping a great hand and then getting disconnected for 2 minutes. I've been playing at UB for the last month and there are still some pauses, but I am rarely unable to finish the hand.
It could also be your dial-up. DSL has been much more stable for me than when I used the regular phone line.

whiskeytown
10-01-2004, 06:28 AM
DSL is more stable then dialup....

I like what Pokerstars has...when you have connection problems, you can pull up a connectivity window that hits half a dozen different sites.

Basically, if you hit everything but pokerstars, it's them.

If you can't hit the Paradise servers either, it's usually internet routing to Costa Rica

If you can't hit anything, it's slow connectivity - either it's internet wide or it's your ISP (usually your ISP except in times when a new worm/virus gets out like happened to me one night when my Pokerstars tournament died)

if you hit everything including the pokerstars site, it's server

AND to summarize - DSL is better than dialup...I'd consider an upgrade...I hated my shitty dialup when I was living with friends for 5 weeks - never got thru a tourney or ring game without a few disconnects

RB

PDX_David
10-02-2004, 02:31 AM
Do you get disconnected from your ISP when you are not playing poker? Like just on the Internet doing other stuff. (I know, what else is there?).

Dial up is just not good enough anymore. Look in to getting DSL or Cable Internet. Much faster and much more reliable.

Plus, if you are winning player it will pay for itself.

MS Sunshine
10-02-2004, 03:55 PM
I have DSL(Qwest) and have been very happy with it. In the past I've also had COX and RR cable. I had many more problems with connection(short periods of time)and I didn't seem to get the speed that the cable companies say. Where I'm moving in LV doesn't get DSL service for a month so I'm going to wait instead of getting COX cable again.

MS Sunshine