PDA

View Full Version : 9/14- final chance for "3+1 NFL Challenge- 2004" rule revisions

Easy E
09-14-2004, 11:14 AM
While we're waiting for the Week #2 lines to form up, here's your last chance to influence the official rules (last draft, with the "illegal" title, is in this forum)

Here are the things to respond to:

<font color="blue">1) Should we list results with the 10% vig subtracted out? Or leave it alone, so it more closely matches last year's structure?

<font color="red">2) Do we allow betting on lines, rather than just teams?

If so, is there ever a case where the line isn't -$110? (or, for our purposes, -$100 to win $90) </font></font>

Other reminders:
I encourage people to provide a short reason for each of their picks, for debate purposes. (not required)

Handicappers don't really need to list the point spread with the team chosen- since the official 2+2 lines aren't going anywhere, just make sure you have team name and bet amount correctly posted.
<font color="green"> The preferred format is "$400 Vikings", to help those of us compiling information from the posts. Don't use the city/state name ($400 Minnesota), please try to match the listings in the official lines. </font>

Third, if you make revisions to your picks, post them in the thread before the deadline and then PM me that you changed things... just to be safe. I transfer them all to a spreadsheet and may not look back at the posts to determine results.

Get your votes in by Wednesday morning, so I can post the official line AND rules and be done with this.

Papa_G
09-14-2004, 12:50 PM
1. Leave the vig in.

2. All bets at -110.

NoChance
09-14-2004, 01:00 PM
I've been in charge of efforts like the one you have taken on here. I know how much time is involved with these things. Why include the Vig at all? Why not just try and keep it as simple as possible?

None of us are wagering this money here. This is just a contest for personal bragging rights. I vote to just keep it simple and leave the Vig out completely to keep it at solid *100 values.

The value I get from this thread is the public opinion. I like to know what the public is thinking, compare it to the line and any recent line moves and try to figure out if I have value or not.

Keep it simple. Save yourself some time.

Eliminating the Vig means there is no reason to answer question #2. I vote everyone just ranks the games as 400, 300, 200, and 100, as if the betting line was even money at +100.

Byrn
09-14-2004, 02:39 PM
1. Use the vig
2. Stay just teams at -110

It is your time, whatever works easiest for you!

Also, include the formatting reminder each week - it will help me and others remember (if I ignored it last week my bad).

Easy E
09-14-2004, 08:09 PM
I'm now leaning away from including the vig for the time being, I believe.

Maybe we'll add a new rule vote: Should Idiot E even be allowed NEAR the results totaling?? /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

MrDannimal
09-14-2004, 09:46 PM
Ignore the vig. No point when we all must make the same four bets. If we were saying "Everyone starts with $1000 and can bet however they want...", I'd say keep it in.

No need to allow bets on anything other then spreads. We've already got 28 or 32 options every week, and we're only picking 4. We don't need another 28 or 32 money line options, or 28 or 32 more totals options. It would be a nightmare to scorekeep (relative to now) and even more of a nightmare to track interesting stats (which I want to do!).

natedogg
09-15-2004, 12:11 AM
No vig. It doesn't change anything. But if you must, please do it properly and charge vig to the losing bets. It's WAY too confusing to charge vig to the winners and even more unrealistic.

Also, include totals dammit! (doesn't sound like anyone supports this though).

natedogg

Easy E
09-15-2004, 12:43 AM
Here I am, trying to revolutionize the bookie industry (not to mention giving a half-vig betting experience)... and you spoilsports want to stick with "the old ways".

Get out of your holes and join the cutting-edge 21st century!

Besides, you should be more worried about my data entry skills....