PDA

View Full Version : Direct Hit!!

Toro
09-14-2004, 08:32 AM
With Admiral Halsey at the helm, the USS New York took a direct hit last night from enemy torpedoes. Taking on water, situation grave.

ThaSaltCracka
09-14-2004, 11:16 AM
eh, only half a game.

Toro
09-14-2004, 11:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
eh, only half a game.

[/ QUOTE ]

But it is in the "all important" loss column!

andyfox
09-14-2004, 11:55 AM
90-54 after last night.

Others should be in such trouble. We (me included) are probably too tough on the team because their most visible problems involve their starting pitching. So they lose games 22-0 and 17-8. But they've managed to win ninety others thus far, and nobody else in the league can say that.

Toro
09-14-2004, 11:58 AM
Agreed, but the innings pitched by the bullpen is now staggering and except for Rivera it is apparent that they are worn down.

andyfox
09-14-2004, 12:16 PM
Quantrill in particular appears much less effective than he was earlier in the year. I wouldn't be surprised to see Karsay, rather than Quantrill, in the 6th/7th inning of winnnable games in the playoffs.

The earned run averages of the first four pitchers that appeared for the Yankees in yesterday's game were embarrassing. If Brown doesn't make it back, and my guess is he won't, Torre might even go with a 3-man rotation of Mussina, El Duque and Vasquez. Perhaps he'll stick with Leiber. Whatever, it sure would appear that that starting pitching wouldn't go far against quality opposition in the post-season.

Utah
09-14-2004, 05:18 PM
You flip flop too /images/graemlins/smile.gif

andyfox
09-14-2004, 05:22 PM
/images/graemlins/smile.gif

andyfox
09-14-2004, 11:08 PM
Another impressive outing for Mussina tonight. Kansas City, no doubt, but still, a lot better than Admiral Halsey. And General Sturtze. And Commander Nitkowski.

Mussina; El Duque; Vasquez, and either Brown or Leiber in the playoffs (provided they make it). Karsay in the 6th and/or 7th; Gordon in the 7th and/or 8th; and Rivera in the 8th and/or 9th. There have been worse staffs that have gone all the way.

Toro
09-14-2004, 11:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Another impressive outing for Mussina tonight. Kansas City, no doubt, but still, a lot better than Admiral Halsey. And General Sturtze. And Commander Nitkowski.

Mussina; El Duque; Vasquez, and either Brown or Leiber in the playoffs (provided they make it). Karsay in the 6th and/or 7th; Gordon in the 7th and/or 8th; and Rivera in the 8th and/or 9th. There have been worse staffs that have gone all the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

And suddenly the Sox are in a little hitting slump. Like I said last week, this is going to be a dog fight.

andyfox
09-15-2004, 12:09 AM
And, like I said, don't be so concerned who finishes first and who finishes second. Just make the play-offs. Home field doesn't mean so much against the good teams: look at what the Sox did to Oakland in Oakland last week, and what the Angels did to the Yankees in New York a few weeks before that. Pedro walked a few too many tonight, but he was still damn sharp.

Toro
09-15-2004, 08:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And, like I said, don't be so concerned who finishes first and who finishes second. Just make the play-offs. Home field doesn't mean so much against the good teams: look at what the Sox did to Oakland in Oakland last week, and what the Angels did to the Yankees in New York a few weeks before that. Pedro walked a few too many tonight, but he was still damn sharp.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mostly agree with you about home field but it is a slight advantage. The biggest advantage, I think, will be who doesn't have to face Minnesota in a 5 game series. They are going to be real tough in a short series with Santana pitching 2 games backed up by Radke.

andyfox
09-15-2004, 11:42 AM
Radke, Schmadke. The Red Sox's #2 is either Pedro or Schilling. I'll take either one of those two over Radke. The Yankees' #2 is either El Duque or Mussina; based on their recent performances, they're certainly no worse than Radke. The A's #2 is either Hudson or Mulder; neither is certainly a dog. Radke is a fine pitcher, but I don't see having him as #2 as an advantage over the other teams' #2.

Toro
09-15-2004, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Radke, Schmadke. The Red Sox's #2 is either Pedro or Schilling. I'll take either one of those two over Radke. The Yankees' #2 is either El Duque or Mussina; based on their recent performances, they're certainly no worse than Radke. The A's #2 is either Hudson or Mulder; neither is certainly a dog. Radke is a fine pitcher, but I don't see having him as #2 as an advantage over the other teams' #2.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a Red Sox fan. We worry about everything.

Gamblor
09-15-2004, 01:45 PM
And General Sturtze

Custer had more success than this guy.