PDA

View Full Version : $100 NLH Party tourney winner

PokerNeal
09-14-2004, 05:12 AM
Hi All:

I won the tournament tonite (Monday, $100 NLH, 453 entrants) for the first prize of $11,325. I guess I was due for this win as I have been having a rough time after winiing the last tourney a couple of weeks ago that secured me a trip to Estonia to play in the World Speed Poker championship.

There are a couple of highlights that I feel is worthwhile sharing for the benefit of the forum readers. Here they are in no particular order of priority:

1. PATIENCE. Played Skalnsky top rank hands from early positions and took chances with rank 2 and 3 hands from or near the button. Almost always folded hands in SB because I have gone in with the minimum bet, partialy flopped, found it hard to get away from the flop, and lost a bundle. Folded several times even when I had the high pair with the high kicker when I smelled a set or 2 pair. Like Phil Helmuth said "You won't win a NLH tourney if you can't lay down what could be a winning hand!" This brings to point #2.

#2 Respect your opponent's bet specially if he has been around a while, played well, and has a decent stack. He did not accomplish that without having merit.

#3 Do not (I cannot emphasize this enough!) worry about having to maintain a benchmark of stack size close or above average. Many players feel the pressure to keep their stack size close to average and make bad moves. Be aggressive but not stupid.

#4 Every time I have been at the final table I have seen players making what I call "Gus Hansen" moves. In other words with a lower pair and the board screaming otherwise these guys push their chips all-in. (no disrespect to Gus, he is a great player, but his tactics don't work for everyone... his tactics seemingly silly at the surface have a lot of merit given that he does it only after getting an amazingly accurate reads on his oppoents) Do not succumb to the temptation to push all-in at the slightest provocation. Step back. Think. Deliberate. Move. Patience! Patience! Patience!

#5 You are never out of the race. I entered the final table as I usually do with the lowest stack. Then I sat back and waited for opponents to make mistakes and then capitalized on them. I sometimes sat for two/three rounds with the blinds eating my stack but did not play because I did not have the cards. When I had the cards I played them to maximum advantage.

I hope this is helpful. Thanks for all the great posts on this forum. They are improving my play everyday. Good luck all.

wilkcards
09-14-2004, 05:26 AM
Congrats on your win. I'm in the final 11 in a nl50 at party right now. hopefully i'll be paitent as well

wilkcards
09-14-2004, 06:25 AM
Well, I took your advice on patience and took first place. $6600. My best tourney win to date. I held kt on the final hand with a flop of KKT. My opponent had a ten and moved in.

PokerNeal
09-14-2004, 09:42 AM
Bravo! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Tosh
09-14-2004, 10:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

1. PATIENCE. Played Skalnsky top rank hands from early positions and took chances with rank 2 and 3 hands from or near the button. Almost always folded hands in SB because I have gone in with the minimum bet, partialy flopped, found it hard to get away from the flop, and lost a bundle. Folded several times even when I had the high pair with the high kicker when I smelled a set or 2 pair. Like Phil Helmuth said "You won't win a NLH tourney if you can't lay down what could be a winning hand!" This brings to point #2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats great, *when* you get cards, often you end up needing to take a chance without.

Congrats on the win.

pokerraja
09-14-2004, 11:06 AM
congrats pokerneal. I also want to thank you for your contributions to this forum. It really helps to have proven winners share some of their thought processes during the tourneys. thanks again. and good luck in estonia /images/graemlins/smile.gif

willie
09-14-2004, 11:39 AM
man i gotta win one of these things soon....or at least money one.

i think i succumb to the average stack idea and begin to get a bit wreckless at times.

i always play well enough to beat 80 percent of the idiots then fizzle out pre-money...which is frustrating.

The Student
09-14-2004, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

#5 You are never out of the race. I entered the final table as I usually do with the lowest stack. Then I sat back and waited for opponents to make mistakes and then capitalized on them. I sometimes sat for two/three rounds with the blinds eating my stack but did not play because I did not have the cards. When I had the cards I played them to maximum advantage.

I hope this is helpful. Thanks for all the great posts on this forum. They are improving my play everyday. Good luck all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey PokerNeal -

Thanks for the post. Point #5 is something that I've been working on for a while now. A couple of weeks ago I was in the same situation - coming into the final table in last chip position at a $30+3 UltimateBet tourney. It was a real struggle to wait for some cards and it seemed like everytime I had cards that were good enough to steal with (but not good enough to call a raise with), I was beaten to the pot by someone ahead of me. I finally started to pick up a couple of hands which let me coast a little longer as some of the big stacks battled it out. Eventually I found myself playing 3-handed. I finally got nailed holding top two when the big stack hit his inside straight draw, but I wouldn't have moved up the ladder at all if I hadn't had a little patience at the final table. It's a struggle sometimes to not go in with trash when you're watching your stack slowly disintegrate, but when you can keep your cool, it usually works out.

good luck in your next tourney,

ts-

bigfishead
09-14-2004, 02:02 PM
Great Job Neal.

I probably play much like you from what I see in your post.
However my results are truly frustrating. 553 players, win 5 pots, never have more than 3500 chips, 47th place. over and over it seems. I dont believe I am too tight, but I look for advantages. Yet I am seeing less than 12% of the flops. Winning a high % of showdowns, and getting cracked. Unfortunately I think my recent short term luck has been running on empty in some ways. I just got knocked out again. 3rd flop I had seen in the event, 50 hands dealt, My KK all-in preflop. Ahhh..ni han sir....vs pocket Aces. oh well. Funny thing is I have no qualms about the hands I get busted out with most times or against. It just seems to have been a lot of my K's or Q's vs pocket Aces. Just dumb-ass luck for me.

Alas I still come out slightly ahead in the $$ dept. Just looking for 1-2 of those nice wins like I hear from you Neal. Excellent job. Hats off to ya.

sorry I kinda ragged some frustrations out on your thread. You actually help me keep my confidence up.

DVO
09-14-2004, 05:41 PM
Hey Wilkie. I think I spent a lot of time at your table this game.....Tableflipper. Glad to hear you won. Congrats.

PokerNeal
09-14-2004, 07:30 PM
Just finished #6 in another Party $100 NLH tourney for a prize of $1750. Same sauce. My feeling is that if you stick to a good game, have PATIENCE and DISCIPLINE (and with a little help from Lady Luck), you can score wins and get out of the outer circles you seem to be ending in. Keep the faith and play the game. You will make it.

PS. Oh, yes. I think I could have done better than #6 had I paid attention to another very very key attribute in a poker game. POSITION. I played a KQ of hearts from the early position and went all-in with a low-to-mid size stack when forced by a late position better (I felt safe specially since I saw two heart cards on the flop). I thought I was doing well when I got a flush draw on the turn. However, my opponent made a fullhouse. Had I been in a later position I would not have played this hand based on the heavy bet by my opponent. Add this to the sauce. POSITION! POSITION! POSITION!

bigfishead
09-14-2004, 07:38 PM
well stated...good job still again btw.

I am extremely cognizant of position. More so than the cards themselves. TY neal.

Jason Strasser
09-14-2004, 09:35 PM
Nice Job.

G Baade
09-15-2004, 01:55 AM
I could'nt agree more. Patience is absolutely vital. Any time I have got worried about my stack and start pushing with borderline hands. I find myself eliminated middle of the pack. The times where I come here and read, and only look at the table to see if I have a good hand. I find myself deeper in the tourney. I have folded hands all the way up to the first break and made the final table. Just a matter of waiting it out.

Percula
09-15-2004, 03:38 AM
It is funny that you posted this, as there always seems to be someone asking for a "formula" to winning MMTs, I think you just posted 3/4 of it. Add Emark's and Gregs posts on stealing and reading and you have it.

Something I would add for some of the newer players (like myself making the transition from fish to real player)... TAKE these points to heart. DO NOT let the situation (buy-in, prize pool, aggressive people, bad beats, etc, etc) take you out of the game.

A good example, I played a two table SnG today, did not play a hand for several orbits. Finally get KK, make a big raise (that was right for this table), get an all-in from a shorter stack and lose to A8 off. Took me down to <200 chips, 45 mins later I finished off a nasty HU battle to take 1st. I used all of the points in this post and some good steals ala eMark and Greg and a little luck when it really counted.