PDA

View Full Version : 3-handed Ad10d

kdotsky
09-14-2004, 02:45 AM
Final 3 of 50 person live tourny. Blinds are 500/1k. Button has ~10k, I have ~18k, BB has ~22K. BB is a good aggressive player who is also a good friend, so he he knows how I play and probably has a read on me. Button folds, I raise (Ad10d) to 2500. BB raises 5,000 more.

The raise seems to me like he wants me to lay down if I'm stealing, but he wants to be able to fold if I really have the goods. However, if I raise all in (10k more) he's getting 2.5:1 on his call, so he may have to call.

Now, I don't really want to lay this hand down, so it's a question of how I play it from here. Any way I play it I'm committed to it. So here's my question. Do I have folding equity if I raise all in? If not, would this be the perfect spot for a stop and go (call the 5K and then push)? Does the decision completely depend on whether I think he'll fold to a pre-flop all-in?

Garland
09-14-2004, 03:19 AM
You have poor position on this hand, so I think calling is bad, even if you're planning to push on a whatever flop.

There are some meta-considerations:

1. What are his views on you as a raiser?
2. Is he capable of laying down to a massive all-in preflop?

If he views you as a tight player and serious with your all-ins and he's capable of folding, then I'd suggest pushing.

Folding is not bad in this spot otherwise. Ironically, I'd probably make the call preflop if I were on the button.

Garland

kdotsky
09-14-2004, 03:37 AM
1) He knows me well. He knows I'll steal, and I've been busted stealing with some complete garbage earlier in the tournament. So I think A10 is better than he expects of me in that spot.
I know him well too, though, and I'm somewhat confident I am not dominated, and have a feeling I might have the best hand.

2) How would I make a "massive all-in" preflop? I have 15K when he raises 5K more to me. If I raise all in (10k on top) he's getting 2.5:1 pot odds to call me. Yeah it puts both our tournaments on the line, but it doesn't seem massive at all since he's getting 2.5:1 on his call.

I'm surprised you'd consider folding here. It seemed to me A10 3-way with 17BB is good to go. Maybe it's because I had a read, I don't know. Also, you'd consier just calling the 5K if you were on the button? Are you planning on getting away from the hand after committing 7k? I suppose this may be viable since then you'd be even with the 3rd place person (10K), but I assumed that I was committed if I played the hand any further.

uclaguy
09-14-2004, 04:13 AM
This really depends on the payout structure in my opinion. No matter the payoff I like the steal, but:
1) If the difference between 2nd and third was big, I might lay down pre-flop after the the re-raise. Even though you were getting correct odds to at least call his reraise with your suited ace (you can hit a flush or straight even if you are dominated)I would consider saving those 5 BB to just outlast the smaller stack if 2nd paid a GOOD DEAL MORE than third.
2)Otherwise, I think I would re-raise all in. Although your friend might be gatting good odds he has to consider the fact that if he calls your all in and loses he will go from big stack to a mere 3 BB and I think that constitues some major fold equity. This is especially true if he put you on a steal since it seems his re-raise was designed specifically to be big enough to get a steal to fold, yet small enough that he could get away from if re-raised all in. The range of hands he would risk his stack on and call you leave you with outs: KK-TT and you need hit just your ace,if he has AA,AK-AJ you still might hit a flush or straight so all hope isnt lost.

Neuge
09-14-2004, 05:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you can hit a flush or straight even if you are dominated

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a question. Would you make the same play with a KJs as opposed to an ATs? You have just as much chance of flopping a straight or flush. Granted you theoretically have more of a chance of being dominated with KJ, but being 3 handed that chance goes down.

emp1346
09-14-2004, 05:48 AM
I think I'd make the all in move with AT. Especially with having been caught stealing earlier, now you have a hand with some presence.

As for the KJ, that would change matters. I'd consider a fold, but would likely call. Especially against someone I know, I prefer being in first position, knowing how to play a friend.

uclaguy
09-14-2004, 06:00 AM
The straight/flush possibilities of the AT were just added outs IN CASE your opponent had a better ace, not reasons for pushing alone. If your opponent doesnt have the AK-AJ then you at least have an over card to any PP, this is not true with KJ.
Also, I would argue that perhaps you have LESS of a chance of being dominated with KJ than with AT IF your opponent called your all-in. Few players would risk their tounry to an all-in re-re-raise with KQ, leaving only AK to dominate you. However many players might easily put it on the line (with the 2.5:1 odds) with AK-AJo. This fact however, still would not make me more inclined to re-raise all in w/ KJs.