PDA

View Full Version : How's this bet for +EV?

Gronk
09-13-2004, 11:39 PM
Talk about positive EV. A friend of mine is setting up a tournament. $150 + 30 buy-in(30 for hotel suite + food + drinks + clay chips so he's not profiting off it). 5 tables of 10 players. Top 2 from each table makes the final table and if you make the final table you automatically get your buy-in back. First place gets 50% of the prize money.

Here's the bet. He's a decent player who has had a few winning sessions lately and is a bit over-confident in his game as a result. He bet me $500 (even money) that he'd win first place in this tournament. I've been playing in smaller 6 - 10 player tourny's at our home game for four years and have yet to see him take first. Any suspicion of cheating and the bet is off. How do you guys like that?

Jimbo
09-13-2004, 11:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Any suspicion of cheating and the bet is off. How do you guys like that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like his end of it. If it appears he will not win all he needs to do is give an indication that he was cheating (however poor the results) and the bet is off. Sort of like Heads I win, Tails You Lose.

Jimbo

Gronk
09-14-2004, 08:18 AM
Considering the company we'll be in, I don't think it's worth the $500 for him to pretend he was cheating.