PDA

View Full Version : Forgot how to play against a maniac (quickie)

Nate tha' Great
09-13-2004, 09:48 PM
Logged back into Pacific today for no particular reason, Playing a 15-30 table that's like 5-handed. One of the good things about Pacific is that you can change your seat. One of the other good things about it is that it features a lot of LAG idiot maniacs.

So ... yeah, I have one of those maniac guys sitting to my immediate right and am dealt KK in the SB. There is a raise from an unknown in EP and the LAG 3-bets. I cap and both call.

Flop is Qxx with two diamonds, I have the K of diamonds. I bet out, EP calls and maniac raises.

The right play is just to 3-bet here right away, no?

Rah
09-13-2004, 09:53 PM
I usually play at lower stakes, but I would raise here to isolate the maniac. If EP folds - bet out on the turn, and enter check/call-mode if the maniac raises.

Nate tha' Great
09-13-2004, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I usually play at lower stakes, but I would raise here to isolate the maniac. If EP folds - bet out on the turn, and enter check/call-mode if the maniac raises.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the question, whether I want to keep EP involved or not. He is likely drawing to 2-3 outs and if both he and the maniac have an Ace, it would be highly advisable for me to keep them both involved in the hand. The line I was tempted to employ was just to call and then bet out again on the turn, with the intention of 3-betting if the maniac raised.

bicyclekick
09-13-2004, 10:11 PM
Ahhh good ol pacific.

I haven't been playign on there lately either.

I don't quite understand your hand. The maniac, who is sitting on your immediate left 3 bets out of the bb after you just called with KK and then you capped it when back to you?

My guess is that what you meant is he's on your right.

If that's the case, I'd 3 bet it right here. You're not likely losing the EP guy if he has any kind of a hand or something like AK. Maybe you'll get him to fold AJ...which is drawing thin but it's not a huge deal. He'll be less likely to fold as well because he wont trust you as much for a big hand because of said maniac.

If maniac caps, the turn is a little more tricky. Crazy's do get hands everyonce in awhile...but I'm still 3 betting the turn if he raises and just checking and calling the river if he caps. If the UTG guy wakes up i'd just call down though.

Nate tha' Great
09-13-2004, 10:18 PM
Yeah, the maniac was on my right, acting before me. Fixed in original post.

scooby
09-14-2004, 06:23 PM
My default play with a hand that I'm almost sure is best is to smooth call the flop raise and checkraise the turn. I particularly like this play in this case because EP isn't going to fold a draw even for two on the turn.

However, what I'm really curious about is how often your stop and go gets raised on the turn by LAGs? I wonder if I could gain an extra BB by betting out on the turn and 3betting?