PDA

View Full Version : What do you do in this situation?

Bigwig
09-13-2004, 07:26 PM
This is hypothetical.

Blinds are 15/30.

UTG + 1 raises to 120, and you have 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif in late position. You call.

The flop comes: 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif2 /images/graemlins/club.gif

UTG bets out t200 (or slightly higher) into you.

Now what?

EDIT -- Assume that both yourself and UTG raiser have about equal stack sizes, like 1500.

SmileyEH
09-13-2004, 07:50 PM
Fold preflop.

-SmileyEH

Bigwig
09-13-2004, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop.

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

Assume you had TT then, or JJ, with undercards on the flop. Whatever point you would call with a pair from an early raiser, rather than raise.

Unless you're saying you never call a pair with an early raise.

SmileyEH
09-13-2004, 08:54 PM
Here is the problem with your thinking. When you call preflop you are a huge dog to the range of hands your opponent is holding assuming he is rational. Therefore when the flop comes undercards (which it rarely will with 99 or TT and slightly more than 50% with JJ) you are simply praying that your opponent had AK or AQ instead of AA KK QQ etc.

This is a BAD situation. Either reraise preflop (I would do it with QQ's up, or JJ's up if the money was short), or call for only set value.

In the case of 99 I want a set, a strong draw or I'm out. The raise to you was 120 - do you expect to win nearly 1000 chips from your opp. stack when you hit your set? I think not, therefore you should fold preflop.

In the situation you described I would either fold or raise the flop. This is essentially a bluff raise though as no reasonable opponent would call with just overcards in this circumstance - if you are called you are beaten so you must fold unless the miracle 9 hits.

Hope this helps.

-SmileyEH

willperkins
09-13-2004, 10:18 PM
Let me preface this by saying I am new to this game and still learning, so any comments on my play are apprecaited.

First of all, I would have folded 99 facing a t120 raise from UTG +1. I am assuming I know nothing about his playing style, so I will have to give him the benefit of the doubt and put him on a big pocket pair or AK. Of these hands I am pretty much dominated except for AK and it is pretty much a coin flip.

If I did call the preflop bet, and faced another bet of t200, I would still fold. I still have t1350 in chips and the blinds are only t15/30. I would want to wait till I felt I had stronger position.