PDA

View Full Version : KQs in the SB. Poop gets crazy on the turn and river.

bisonbison
09-13-2004, 07:12 PM
TA-Tilting? - is a guy I have about a hundred hands with. He's usually decent but seems to be superaggro today. It's only been a couple of orbits, but he posted UTG+1 and seems to be on tilt.
TA-Passive - He's decent but not aggressive postflop w/o a real hand.
LP-A is very loose passive preflop but is capable of postflop aggression.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 <font color="purple">(TA-Passive)</font> raises</font>, MP3 <font color="purple">(LP-A)</font> calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, BB <font color="purple">(TA-Tilting?)</font> calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, TA-Tilting? checks, <font color="CC3333">TA-Passive bets</font>, LP-A calls, Hero calls, TA-Tilting? calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, TA-Tilting? checks, <font color="CC3333">TA-Passive bets</font>, LP-A calls, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">TA-Tilting? raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">TA-Passive 3-bets</font>, LP-A calls, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">TA-Tilting? caps</font>, TA-Passive calls, LP-A calls, Hero calls.

River: (22 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">TA-Tilting? bets</font>, TA-Passive calls, <font color="CC3333">LP-A raises</font>, Hero calls...

MoreWineII
09-13-2004, 07:15 PM
That's what we call the Ol' Whip-saw.

Ralph Wiggum
09-13-2004, 07:22 PM
I can't put LP-A on any logical hand that he can call the whole way with, but then raise the river, other than either an A /images/graemlins/spade.gif or a 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif hand. Can this guy call a flop w/ T /images/graemlins/spade.gif9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif in his position? If so, then maybe you've got him, but I think most likely he called the PFR w/ A /images/graemlins/spade.gifX /images/graemlins/spade.gif. The only other idiotic thing I can imagine is that he held a set, and pushed his hand at the last possible moment. My read says you're beat. Call and hope to win 3 bets to 1 on the river, rather than lose 4 bets and possibly knocking out the TA guys.

sfer
09-13-2004, 07:24 PM
Since the K /images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif, and J /images/graemlins/spade.gif are all accounted for, it's hard to believe TA-Passive has the nut flush, especially given the only logical candidate is A /images/graemlins/spade.gifT /images/graemlins/spade.gif and from you read it seems doubtful that he goes beserk on the turn with that hand.

So given that, a possible tilter and an LP, I love my hand and 3-bet the river.

EDIT: D'oh! I misread LP for TA-passive. Disregard this and poop on me.

bisonbison
09-13-2004, 07:25 PM
You're misreading the hand. On the river, LoosePassive-Aggressive raises, not TA-Passive.

WarmonkEd
09-13-2004, 08:47 PM
ok. I don't like your read descriptions /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

A-P, P-A. Which is it? P or A?

I would've been tempted to raise the river.

bisonbison
09-13-2004, 08:49 PM
Dude, it's all explained at the top of the first post. Some people behave differently before and after the flop.

WarmonkEd
09-13-2004, 08:50 PM
ah... I understand now

nepenthe
09-13-2004, 08:51 PM
I am convinced the calls are all correct, including the one at the river.

aas
09-13-2004, 09:06 PM
There are times when thinking too much won't help a lot. You just know that you shouldn't fold. If raising the river is more profitable than calling, it shouldn't be that much more. I call.

WarmonkEd
09-13-2004, 09:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There are times when thinking too much won't help a lot. You just know that you shouldn't fold. If raising the river is more profitable than calling, it shouldn't be that much more. I call.

[/ QUOTE ]

well the river raise is potentially 3 BB more profitable. I think you'll win enough that the river is a value raise.

bisonbison
09-13-2004, 09:14 PM
The flush shows up, two guys who've been calling along start raising and you think I'm going to get anyone with less than a set to call?

WarmonkEd
09-13-2004, 09:16 PM
yes

maybe not TA-P, but TA-T and LP-A ain't going anywhere.

nepenthe
09-13-2004, 09:20 PM
You must consider the possibility that either of the other two players will call a 3-bet AND/OR that your hand is best, plus any variable permutations thereof, and juxtapose it against the possibility that either of the other two players fold AND/OR you run into a cap by the extremely possible nut flush, plus any variable permutations thereof, compute the profits gained/losses suffered in each scenario and multiply it by your estimated likelihood of each scenario. I say there is a compelling possibility a nut flush is out there.

Going for an overcall here cannot be a bad play.

WarmonkEd
09-13-2004, 09:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Going for an overcall here cannot be a bad play.

[/ QUOTE ]

alright, I concede to this.

aas
09-13-2004, 09:34 PM
You shouldn't only consider your potential rewards. Consider your risks vs. your rewards.

MoreWineII
09-13-2004, 10:03 PM
..that I probably grit my teeth, 3-bet, and call the probable cap. It really does look like LPA's got the nuts here but it would suck to miss out on the extra bets if he doesn't.

bisonbison
09-13-2004, 10:46 PM
RESULTS:

Everyone calls. 30BB in the pot.

TA-Passive shows Ac3c. 2 pair.
LP-A shows Ts2s. Ten high flush.
TA-Tilting shows 54o. turned straight.

MHIG.

sthief09
09-13-2004, 10:49 PM
Post deleted by sthief09

bisonbison
09-13-2004, 10:52 PM
I hate your call. He's passive preflop and you're calling the SB in a small pot in a 1/3 structure with KQs?

I can't agree. It's a LP raise so I think folding would be bad, but with a coldcaller already in, I can't get it heads-up by raising.

sthief09
09-13-2004, 10:54 PM
I did it again. I didn't realize he open raised so late.

Luv2DriveTT
09-13-2004, 11:12 PM
wow.... that is a surprise that LP-A stayed through the turn. After reading the whole hand the only logical hand I could imagine was 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. Not that it is really logical to cold-call a raise with such poor pocket cards, but we have all experianced many a player that will play with any pocket suited connectors.

At first I questioned your semi-passive turn play, and I also did not like the check on the river, but when I read your descriptions of each player I think you played the hand flawlessly - take back 100% of my doubts!

Why move the mountain to Mohomed, when you can bring Mohomed to the mountain?

TT in da club /images/graemlins/club.gif

bisonbison
09-13-2004, 11:17 PM
Well, I think this may be the biggest pot I've won without ever putting in a bet or raise.

I thought the river was a perfect opportunity for a check-raise.

Luv2DriveTT
09-13-2004, 11:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought the river was a perfect opportunity for a check-raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right you are. I never suspect a check raise on the river, it always catches me off guard - and its something I hardly ever do (please forget I said this when you play against me!). This was the perfect opportunity!