PDA

View Full Version : Near bubble vs. Bubble- change in push requirements

NegativeEV
09-13-2004, 05:40 PM
I'm struggling with my play when there are 5 or 6 players left and the blinds are heavy relative to stack sizes. I recently moved up to the $55 tables on PP (70 tourneys in at $55, so still new to the level), and am facing these situations much more frequently than I'm used to. I'm fairly comfortable with pushing requirements on the bubble, but would like guidance for mid-level play. Here is a hand I struggled with:

PP $50+5, blinds 200/400, six players remain. Stack sizes are estimates, but close to actuals.

SB (T1100)
BB (T3200)
UTG (T1100)
UTG+1(T1700)
CO (T1400)
Hero (T1500)

Folded to Hero who has KQo. SB is generally tight/straight-up, and BB (big stack) has LAG tendancies, but has not made any maniac plays.

Is this a push hand?

SmileyEH
09-13-2004, 07:25 PM
I would push but it isnt cut and dry. The good thing is with a hand like KQo as opposed to Axo is that when you do get called I think you are less likely to be dominated. I would most definetely push with KQs in this case.
I'm a 20+2 twotabler going to the 30's at the end of the week so take my advice for what its worth.

-SmileyEH

NegativeEV
09-13-2004, 09:16 PM
I think we are on the same page here. I see this as a push generally, but I don't think it is a black/white situation. I feel like this is a pretty read/table specific play generally, but this type of grey read is difficult in the short time frame that an SnG offers.

ilya
09-13-2004, 11:29 PM
In my opinion it's not even remotely close. You absolutely have to push. The blinds are 40% of your stack! Even if you magically lost 100% of the time you were called, pushing would still be a +CEV play unless you were getting called more than 28% of the time.

Even if you had A2o you'd still have to push here.

The fact that the table is 6-handed is irrelevant since it's been folded to your button. The hand is effectively 3-handed.

parappa
09-14-2004, 05:15 AM
At 10+1 I would push this every time.