PDA

View Full Version : Calling a panic bet

Azrael_AOD
09-13-2004, 04:57 PM
$10 no-limit, $0.10 and $0.20 blinds. The game is 8-handed.

Preflop: ($0.30)Hero is UTG with A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Hero raises to $1.20, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, Villain (MP2) reraises to $3.00, CO folds, Button folds, both blinds fold. Hero calls. The villain is the unbelievably weak, but he was on a rush earlier that night. At that point in time however, he was on tilt, having lost 3/4ths of his stack calling an all-in (by a player holding QQ) with A /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/spade.gif.

Flop: ($6.30) 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif, 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. I'm pretty sure I have him beat because he's a weak player who's on tilt. Hero checks, villain bets $4.00, hero calls.

Turn: ($14.30) 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif. Hero checks, villain moves all-in for $5.70. The way he pushed his chips in and the expression on his face stank of desperation, so I call. He flips over K /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/club.gif

The river was inconsequential. Final pot- $25.70.

Should I have reraised him all-in preflop? Were my flop and turn calls loose, or did I have sufficient pot odds to call? I wasn't even thinking about the odds during the hand. I was just concentrating on picking up a read on the villain, and I read him as being weak and on tilt like a mother.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Xargque
09-14-2004, 03:18 PM
You read him perfectly and took all his money. Against another player or when he isn't on tilt, you made the right call, but here you played right.

I personally reraise PF with AKs as a general rule in this situation. I'd be interested to hear if this is the right thing to do. Of course, against a tilter your play may have been preferable.

-X

BobboFitos
09-15-2004, 05:43 AM
I personally reraise PF with AKs as a general rule in this situation. I'd be interested to hear if this is the right thing to do. Of course, against a tilter your play may have been preferable.

-X

Reraise a raise on your initial bet, or reraise meaning having someone open raise and then taking the pot away from him?

Eh... that was ugly wording.

But putting in a THIRD raise with AKs is largely incorrect, as only better hands (AA, KK, QQ maybe) will stick around. You do have folding equity for small pocket pairs who thought they were being crafty, but this is a money game, not a tournament, so most of the time this is a losing proposition. Of course, if you're in a maniac-oriented game, then conditions change.

As for raising an open raise preflop in a deep money game, I typically will ONLY do with superior position (CO or button) or when I'm in MP and I believe the EP or MP right next to me would open raise with a hand weaker than mine, I.E. AQ. The reason I would pop it there in MP is to:
a. thin the field to play heads up
b. find out cheap if I am up against AA or KK
c. Steal the button so I am last to act if I get into the type of situation where I may need a free card to beat him (Such as the suited-ness giving me a 4 flush on the turn, and I have no pair, and I expect he has an overpair to the board or so and will read me - correctly - and call me if I take a semibluff stab here)
or lastly d. Give myself the aggressive position, which hopefully enable me to pick up a pot if he has something like TT and it comes Q x x, as he fears overpair or AQ or that type of thing.